Am I a Candidate for Mini Tuck Plus Lipo? (photo)

According to one of the surgeon's I consulted, my c-section scar may be too low to remove if he does a full tummy tuck. He can remove the c-section scar if he does a mini-tuck. My only concern is, with a mini-tuck and lipo, what are the chances I my skin will wrinkle above the navel. I am 50 years old. Thanks!

Mini-Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1

I will be the voice of polite dissent here. I think you could be a very good candidate for a short scar/modified tummy tuck. You do not appear to have significant skin laxity above the umbilicus and you have only modest skin excess in the supra-pubic area. If most of the fullness of the front of your abdomen is fat, then liposuction could offer great results. If you have  stretching or relaxation of the abdominal wall, tightening of this could be performed through a short scar. In these cases the only thing 'mini' about the surgery is the incision and avoiding moving the umbilicus. Some of this also depends upon your goals and how tight or flat you want your abdomen. See enough surgeons to make an informed decision. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I think you will be much better off with a full tummy talk procedure.

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus (and the supra umbilical skin) is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Mini Tummy Tuck and Liposuction or Standard abdominoplasty

+1

Based on your photographs only I believe you will get the best result from a full, standard abdominoplasty. While your C-section scar may not be removed with the procedure your overall improvement in abdominal shape will more than make up for it. The standard abdominoplasty will address the skin above and below your belly button as well as tighten your rectus abdominus muscles.  The standard abdominoplasty will give better and longer lasting results.

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini tuck and liposuction vs. larger procedures

+1

On your photo, there is a fair amount of loose skin that should ideally be removed if you were having anything done.

Patients often short-change themselves into a "good enough" procedure or a "quick recovery" procedure.

Why not get the best procedure if you are having surgery?

There are a few tummy tucks that you could choose from, none of which would optimally be a "mini tuck" since removal of skin only below the belly button and liposuction might not give you your best result.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck vs Full Tummy tuck

+1

A Mini Tummy Tuck will essentially remove some skin and fatty tissue below the belly button.  Any improvement will be limited to below the belly button. IT can be combined with liposuction,however , if there is any stretched out skin above the belly button, liposuction will not help.  A full Tummy Tuck will also provide improvement above the umbilicus by tightening the underlying muscles and by removal of more lax skin and fatty tissue.  You should carefully discuss these options with your surgeon as it is not possible to make a specific recommendation based on your photos and without an adequate examination.  

Stephen Delia, MD