Am I a Candidate for Lip Reduction? (photo)

I am a 24 year old Asian male and have been conscious about the appearance of my side profile for just about my entire life. The problem area seems to be my large, protruding, and full lips that makes my side profile uneven. I have had orthodontic work done to correct my teeth in hopes that it would "reshape" how my face looks but have discovered that my lips are still duck-like as they are. I also noticed how it "bunches up" underneath by my teeth when I smile. Would I need both lips done?

Lip reduction surgery

+2

Lip reduction can be performed safely to remove excess tissue from the lip in order to realign proportions of the upper and lower lips. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles

Lip Augmentation vs. Chin Augmentation

+1

Though I see what you are talking about regarding your upper lip, I think a lip reduction would likely cause you more problems than it would solve. Your upper lip is probably just as much a result of bone structure and orthodontics as it is the lip itself. If you're looking to even out your profile more, I agree with the other doctors below. I think a chin implant (surgical or non-surgical) would be a good option for you. Best of luck!

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Lip Reduction

+1

Hello and thank you for your question and your pictures.  I have to agree with the other surgeons who have previously answered your question.  A chin implant would definitely create a more balanced profile.  I would also recommend soft tissue fillers such as Radiesse or Sculptra in your cheeks.  Thank you again, and best of luck to you!

Tanya Aya Atagi, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Protruding lip contours may be corrected

+1

Balancing your lip contours can be accomplished by several methods.  Consider soft tissue reduction vs. skeletal enhancement of cheeks and/or chin.  You may be a candidate for cephalometric analysis prior to investing beyond your orthodontia.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Lip reduction?

+1

You would benefit from a chin implant and possibly a premaxillary implant. These would make the lips less protuberant .

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon