Am I a Candidate for Fat Grafting to the Breast?

I had breast implants put in to correct tuberous breasts a few years ago and the result was terrible. I also hate the way they feel and am afraid of switching to silicone implants. I am considering removing the implants and getting a fat graft to make my breast shape more normal and to make the size 1 cup bigger. I am unsure of my body fat percentage but I am 5'5 and hover between 120 and 125 pounds. Currently my waist is 27 inches and my hips 37 inches. Would this procedure work for me?

Fat grafting for breasts

+2

Dear Curiousgal, 

Fat grafting is a very useful technique and it sounds like you may well benefit from it.  I have used it in patients who have had a poor result from implants although you should be aware that it may only give a modest increase in the size of the breast and may need to be repeated. 

There have been concerns about the long term effects, but the consensus seems to suggest that it is safe.  Consult a plastic surgeon with experience of the technique and good luck.  Jonathan Staiano.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting for tuberous breast deformity is a good option

+1

While not mainstream yet both fat grafting and fat grafting of the breast, especially for breast augmentation are starting to gain some traction.  It is very important to remember that fat grafting might require 2-3 sessions to achieve your result and currently it is probably better performed with some type of external breast expansion technique such as the BRAVA system.  It will cost more than implants alone and it does require both an experienced plastic surgeon as well as your time and effort to complete the process.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Fat grafting to correct tuberous breasts

+1
Fat injections to the breasts have become an excellent alternative to breast enhancement and a recent position statement by the American society of plastic surgery has given it's blessing. I have seen excellent results achieved with fat injections for difficult situations such as the tuberous breast. For best results the surgery is preceded by treatment with the Brava bra which expands the breast allowing for better take of the fat grafts. Be sure to find a surgeon with ample experience in the technique.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Your may a good candidate based on the fat availability of the fat for harvest

+1
The problems post implant placement for tubular breast are very common and the options for revision are limited. I been using fat grafting for implant failure for the last 5 years with great results. I been teaching other surgeons (fatgraftforum.com) You can send pictures of the potential donor sites abd breasts for further evaluation.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Don't rush into fat grafting

+1
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons has yet to endorse fat grafting. It is certainly a hot topic but I would not encourage a patient to buy into the hype until more peer reviewed studies have established its longterm efficacy and safety. Non-surgeons are continually seeking ways to access cosmetic patients. While ultimately this may become an accepted procedure, that time has not arrived. Silicone implants will not alter your result, you need something to expand the base of the breast, perhaps a different implant shape combined with a different surgical technique. Without a photograph, it's impossible to do more than conjecture.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Fat grafting for tuberous breasts

+1

Thank you for your question. I recently returned from the ASPS national meeting in Denver, CO. While there, everybody was talking about fat grafting.  I saw some excellent results using fat grafting in conjunction with the BRAVA system to augment women with tuberous breasts.

For the results I saw, the implants were removed first, followed by 10-14 weeks of BRAVA treatment, then fat grafts to the breasts and 10-14 more weeks of BRAVA.  Two to three sessions were required. The results shown were excellent.

Provided that you have enough donor sites for fat harvest, I don't see why you wouldn't be a candidate for fat grafting. Make certain that you see a plastic surgeon that has experience in the harvest and preparation of fat grafts. I know that Dr. Roger Khouri in Miami has experience with this in the United States.  Good luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Correction of tuberous breast deformity.

+1
This is one of the hardest problems to correct and every one is slightly different. The problem is a. Very tight infra mammary crease and a breast shaped like a tuber or potato. I personally am not a fan of fat grafting and would suggest reconstruction with silicone implants. If our crease is very tight you may need correction as a two stage procedure involving Alloderm and an expander followed by placement of an implant. See several board certified plastic surgeons before making your decision as this surgery requires a plastic surgeons with lots of experience in revisionary surgery. Good luck, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Very likely you are a candidate

+1

Correction of tuberous breast deformities is one of the real indications for fat grafting. With your height and weight it is also quite likely that enough fat can be harvested to provide a one cup size enlargement, maybe even more.

One of the main benefits of fat grafting is that it can be placed where needed to shape the breast, so it can be placed in the lower pole of the breast to improve the shape. For best results I might also recommend that you use the BRAVA device to expand the tissues prior to the grafting procedure, and during the procedure 'rigotomy' tissue release may be needed as well. Depending on the extent of the tuberous shape and the final size you want to be, a second grafting procedure may be needed. Fat grafting for breast augmentation and reconstruction is an excellent procedure, but it's different to implants and requires a little more commitment on your part. At our facility we also own the Liquid Gold Lipobank, an FDA certified tissue bank, so that fat can be harvested at a single liposuction procedure and used for repeated grafting procedures if appropriate.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD