Am I a candidate for diastasis recti repair or abdominoplasty? (photo)

Can you do either of these at the same time as a hernia repair? I have had C-section transverse x 2 a life saving caesarean hysterectomy vertical x1 14 months ago after hysterectomy 1 incisional umbilical hernia repair with a 6.4cm patch. Latest CT revealed 2 more hernias 1 at old sight, and 1 incisional hernia where the vertical and transverse scars meet 19mm, significant diversification of linea alba of 55mm also found Reason I had scan = abdominal pain. I am actively losing weight (7kg in 2months) but the pain is preventing strenuous exercise.Thanks

Am I a candidate for diastasis recti repair or abdominoplasty?

+1

Tummy tuck with diastasis repair and hernia repair may be performed.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

Thanks for your question and the attached photo.

From that photo you appear to be an excellent candidate for an abdominoplasty (which will include diastasis repair) and hernia repair.

Your procedure will be safer, your outcome better, and your chance of hernia recurrence lower if are are able to continue with weight loss. Many surgeons use a BMI (body mass index) of 30 as a maximum threshold, but prefer 25 or less. (You can check yours with on line tables knowing your height and weight.)

I would expect that the entire vertical scar can be eliminated during the procedure. Best wishes.

Yes!

+1

Hi tsymia. You can look forward to a gratifying result after an abdominoplasty. I suggest you achieve your weight loss goal, then see a plastic surgeon. I think your hernias can be repaired, and your abdominal contour restored. Good luck!

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

+1

Absolutely. You are a wonderful candidate for a full abdominoplasty. You should be able to get a great result. Yes, you will be able to do both procedures in one setting. Make sure that you consult with a PS that can repair your hernia and is comfortable doing both at the same time. You may want to consider liposuction contouring around your love handle/iliac crest regions as well. This will contour the waistline along with the tummy tuck.

Shelby Brantley, MD
Jackson Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty And Hernia Repair

+1

Congrats on losing weight! Based in your photos, you are a great candidate for a full Tummy Tuck, which includes muscle repair. The hernia repair can easily be done at the same setting. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) for an evaluation, and to discuss your expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD