Am I a Candidate for Chin Augmentation (Male)? (photo)

I have a very pointy and narrow chin. Also, it appears weak from a profile view. I would like a more square, and masculine chin. Am I candidate for chin augmentation, if so, what type of implant would be most appropriate? If not, are there any alternatives to correcting this? Thank you in advance for you opinions.

Chin augmentation

+2

Your chin is not only deficient, but your lower face is long.  An augmentation is a possibility, but you are limited in the sizes and shapes of implants as to what you can accomplish.  A chin osteotomy will allow you to move your chin out and slightly upwards, which will give you a more masculine look and be able to correct the "sharp" look of your chin point.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Hall

Am I a Candidate for Chin Augmentation (Male)?

+2

Before going to surgery try a filler effect to see if you like the appearance of the chin. Easy way to test what you want. 

Chin Implant vs Chin Osteotomy

+2

You would benefit by a chin augmentation procedure but you will have to look carefully at an implant vs an osteotomy. An implant will provide more horizontal projection and width (provided you select a more square style implant) but may adversely affect the vertical length.  Your chin is already vertically long of which an implant may may it look longer. Conversely, an osteotomy  will bring the chin forward and vertically shorten it if necessary. A split osteotomy will also help make it wide as well. It will help you to decide which dimensional changes and chin augmentation method is best by having some computer imaging done using your pictures. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Yes a Pointy Chin Can Be Improved With Chin Augmentation

+2

From the photos it does look like chin augmentation would be helpful. Adding width to your jaw from the front view would make your chin look less pointy. Adding some projection from the side view would give your jaw a stronger appearance.This is one of those occasions that computer imaging preoperatively would be very helpful in order to determine the overall appearance you desire when we are done and then to help determine which implant to use. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for chin augmentation

+1

Chin augmentation is performed for a retrusive chin.  The implant is composed of silastic and is placed through a small ½ inch submental incision and placed directly over the bone, underneath the periosteum, which holds it in place.  The implants come in small, medium, large, and extra large and some are manufactured to give more of a square jaw look rather than a rounded look.  This procedure can be done under a local anesthesia and takes approximately a half an hour to perform.

Chin Implant

+1

According to your photos, you may be a candidate for a chin implant.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) to address your concerns and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

+1

You are a candidate for chin augmentation. There are a variety of implants available to provide broader or a more square, masculine appearance to your chin. An in-person consultation would be required to take measurement, determine the best implant and give you more specifics about how best to proceed. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Long pointy chin

+1

The pictures are insufficient to tell what would be best for you. You should have a consultation with imaging studies. See a surgeon experienced in bony work of the mandible. A simple chin augmentation will likely not work for you. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

+1

A full face  lateral view is required for a definitive answer to your question. It appears you would be a reasonable candidate for a chin augmentation. I would focus on the side view not the front view with varying degrees of animation.

Jay M. Pensler, MD