Am I a Candidate for Canthopexy/canthoplasty, Ptosis Repair or Blepharoplasty? (photo)

Although I have monolids, my main problem has always been my droopy outer corners of my eyes, can it be fixed with canthoplasty/canthopexy, a ptosis repair or blepharoplasty?

Your drooping corner can be addressed with lower eyelid surgery, but it can also benefit from a test for double eyelid surgery

+2

The position of the outer corners of the eyes is based on the insertion of a tendon called the lateral canthal tendon. This tendon goes inside of the lateral orbital rim of the bone in which its position is attached directly to the bone. So for patients who had their eyelid pulled down as a complication of lower eyelid surgery, I attach this tendon by doing a procedure called drill-hole canthopexy. In this procedure, I drill holes into the bone to reattach the eyelids in the right place. This procedure can also be done for cosmetic purposes. There are other factors that determine the outer corner of the eyes which includes the volume of the socket, the projection of the frontal bone and the upper and lower orbital rims.

Ptosis has to do a lot with the position of the eyelid margin and the pupil. Very often, people who have a lot of hooding or have a lot of weight above their eyes may have something called pseudoptosis. This is where the eyelid appears droopy. Cosmetic blepharoplasty is the most common procedure that I perform in patients who have a lot of hooding over their eyes. If you lift up the skin or when you reduce the hooding, the eyelid corner goes higher. So in my practice, I often roll your eyelid skin using a Q-tip and ask you what your thoughts are about the outer corner position.

All of these factors affect shape of the outer corner of your eye. The ultimate outcome of the procedure is based on the desires of the patient. If the patient wants the outer corner to be lifted, then a canthopexy is the procedure they are looking for. On the other hand, if the patient wants a double eyelid procedure, then they should consider a blepharoplasty or an Asian eyelid procedure.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Canthoplasty

+2

I think I may have answered your question in another post. Although you would be a good candidate for an Asian blepharoplasty, I would not recommend canthoplasty/pexy for you. The results of this surgery done electively [not for reconstructive purposes] is often very unnatural.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Move forward with Asian eyelid surgery. Hold off on canthoplasty

+1

thank you for your question MayChen

I definitely think you would benefit from Asian eyelid surgery. I cannot tell from your photographs whether or not you have ptosis for sure but it doesn't seem that you do.  The canthoplasty/pexy can often be used to aggressively outside of a reconstructive setting. What I can tell you from vast experience is that the results can go one of two ways for that particular procedure. Either it doesn't really look any different or it looks quite a natural. I would stick with the Asian eyelid surgery for now and make sure you seek a surgeon with extensive experience in this area.

I'll attach some information that you may find helpful

Chase Lay, MD

double board certified facial plastic surgeon

Asian eyelid surgery and facial plastic specialist

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon