Am I a Candidate for Breast Reduction Surgery if I Have Low Blood Pressure?

After losing 30 lbs, my bra size went from 42DDD to 38G and my blood pressure went from 110/70 to 90/60. I don't want to risk going UP more cup sizes or going down any further in BP by losing more weight, even though at 5'7" and 175 my BMI makes me overweight. Chiro visits & physical therapy have not helped my back and massage therapy is very temporary relief. I'm considering a breast reduction for the first time (I'm 40) and wondering if I'm even a candidate since I have low blood pressure.

Breast Reduction & Blood Pressure.

+1

You might need a good screening by a primary care doctor to make sure you are OK for anesthesia, but slightly low blood pressure is usually not a problem.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Surgery and Blood Pressure

+1

As the other physicians have stated, low blood pressure is usually not a problem for surgery, nor should it be a reason for you to stop losing weight. At this point your pressure will stay where it is no matter how much extra weight you lose. I recommend continued dieting and exercise and a consultation with a board certified plasticsurgeon to assess whether you are a good candidate for breast reduciton surgery.

Regards,

Daniel Medalie, MD

Daniel A. Medalie, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Low blood pressure and breast reduction

+1

Low blood pressure is not a contraindication to undergo a breast reduction. I am more concerned with high blood pressure.

+1

Your blood pressure is NOT a contraindication to having a Breast Reduction procedure. A LOT of active women are running around with your pressure and lower without any symptoms.

A Breast Reduction WILL greatly alleviate your symptoms. You have to realize the reason insurance company make you go through 6 months of "Conservative Therapy" is more in the hope that you will switch insurance plans or stop asking them to pay for a Breast Reduction, NOT because it is effective. After all, can a Chiropractor reduce the size and weight of a mountain, much less a heavy boulder or brick, by the laying on of his/her hands? Of course not! Might as well bring in a Navajo Holy Man; the results may be even better and you will get a dose of spirituality as well.

Pick a good Plastic surgeon and good Luck with your procedure.

Breast reduction with low blood pressure

+1

Many women have low blood pressure and you still should be safe with breast reduction. Also you needn't worry about further weight loss reducing your blood pressure. The cup size in a bra is relative to the chest diameter so you can indeed increase cup sizes as you lose weight, but again all is relative and loss of breast volume with weight loss is the rule.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd

Breast reduction and blood pressure

+1

very common for healthy young women to have blood pressure in that range. with a good anesthesiologist it should not be an issue.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question.  Congratulations on your weight loss.

Based on your description, I think you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This procedure is one of the most patient pleasing operations we do.

Prior to surgery I would suggest a full medical workup to determine any risk factors that may exist. The “low blood pressure” in itself would not be a contraindication.

Hopefully once the procedure is done your only  regret would be not having it done earlier in life. Best wishes.