Am I a Candidate for Breast Reduction? Could I Get Away with Less Invasive Than an Anchor Incision? (photo)

I am 39, non-smoking, Mother of 3 children aged 8, 6 and 2. Stopped breastfeeding 6 months ago. I know I am not "that" big (30" under bust, 35" across bust) but I am TINY - 5`4" and 105lbs! I have neck pain and some back pain. I am VERY self-conscious of them. The kind of attention I get is neither solicited nor pleasant. I hunch over and I think this causes my pain more than the weight. I just want to look normal for my frame. Currently 34D would like to be B/C. Thank you for your time!

Am I a candidate for breast reduction? Could I get away with less invasive than an anchor incision? (photo)

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question.  It is a safe procedure, in which your plastic surgeon will reduce the amount of breast tissue, reshape your breasts, raise the nipple-areolar complex to its appropriate position (possibly making the size smaller, if needed), and ultimately ameliorate the possible complaints that you do have for the reason that you are having this procedure (e.g., neck/back pain, migraines, rashes/infections, shoulder grooving, etc).  Given your photos, only a small reduction would be required, possibly limiting insurance coverage.  You may benefit from a vertical lift with excision of a small amount f tissue to meet your expectations and leave with a "lollipop"-type incision.

It would be in your best interest to have a mammogram prior to the procedure for screening prior to this procedure, as the architecture imaging of your breast will slightly change afterwards. Well known data exists that having a breast reduction will in fact lower your chance for developing breast cancer, simply because the amount of tissue will be less.

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who will discuss the procedure with you, examine, and assist you in determining if this is the right procedure for you.  Voice your complaints - your insurance will likely require a detailed description of your history and complaints as well as photo and an estimate of how much tissue will be removed.  You should give a description of the therapies that you have done to ameliorate your complaints thus far.  Any other notes from other physicians is helpful.  It would also behoove you to discuss your issues yourself with your insurance carrier.  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes!

Breast reduction and liposuction

+1

Based on the pictures, you're ideally a candidate for a vertical mastopexy (lollipop brest lift).  However, I understand that you wish not to have any scars on your breasts.  While scars do fade over time with appropriate scar care, there are inevitable in a breast lift procedure.  Rarely, a patient like yourself is a good candidate for ultrasonic-assisted liposuction of the breasts which will make them smaller without scarring.  You will likely end up with a C. cup which have a minimal to moderate lifting effect on your breasts as well.  Best of luck.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on your description and pictures you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation may serve to help you from the physical and  psychosocial stand point. 

As you consider whether to proceed with this operation, you will need to consider the pros/cons and potential risks/complications associated with breast reduction/lifting surgery.

Breast  reduction/lifting involves some degree of tightening of the breast skin envelope.  In order to tighten the skin envelope, skin excision is necessary;  this results in the presence of scars. 
Sometimes, the presence of scars is a “dealbreaker”;  patients would prefer to leave their breasts unchanged than to have scars. At other times, patients  prefer to have the improvement in breast position, shape, and size  and are willing to accept the trade-off of scars. 

In your case, depending on your physical examination, it is very likely that the operation can be done  with incisions around the areola and vertically.

Vertical breast reduction -lollipop incision is possible

+1
It is possible to give you a great result without the old anchor type incision.  A vertical reduction, where there is only the vertical line, no horizontal/anchor scar is now the new normal for breast reductions.  With a medial or superior based pedicle you can get a great resul with less scarring, longer lasting shape and less bottoming out.
sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Am I a Candidate for Breast Reduction? Could I Get Away with Less Invasive Than an Anchor Incision?

+1

Thanks for the posted photos and I understand. Could consider L-shaped lift/reduction with breast lipo. Just a thought. 

Candidate for breast reduction?

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos. I think you are a good candidate for reduction based on the information you provided. Breast reduction is a very rewarding procedure and does reduce or eliminate neck pain. 

There are different ways to do breast reduction, vertical scar  (Lollipop) reduction may be suitable for you and that will eliminate the need for the inframammary scar.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD