Am I a Candidate for a Breast Reduction?

I'm 17 years old, 5 ft tall, about 130 lbs, and wear a 34D. My breast size makes me feel extremely self conscious and I think they might be why I feel so much tension in my neck and shoulders. They make exercise embarrassing and it is difficult to find clothes that fit well. My body looks extremely unproportionate because of my big breasts and short body. I have to tighten my bra straps way up to keep the girla from sagging and it is uncomfortable. Are my breasts large enough to get a reduction?

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

Unfortunately,  without direct examination or viewing pictures it is not possible to give you precise advice. Based on your description, however,  it sounds like your breasts are too big for your frame and  may be causing you both physical and psychosocial problems.

Your first step may be to visit with board-certified plastic surgeons for direct examination and a full communication of your goals.

As you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  One of the potential downsides (tradeoff) associated with the procedure is scarring. Make sure you also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if your breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

Sometimes the breat reduction is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
 This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.