Am I a Candidate for Breast Augmentation Without Lift? (photo)

Augmentation only possible ? Or would I require a lift also My main concern is lack of volume in the upper part of the breast and the asymmetry. My left breast has bad a breast reduction 6 years ago for asymmetry, my right was then had lipo 2 years after that to remove fat after the breast became noticeably bigger than the left. I have continually been losing weight over the past 6 years but I am now maintaining.

Am I a candidate for breast augmentation without a lift?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Breast augmentation is a procedure often sought by women to increase size, add upper pole fullness and projection along with improve shape and symmetry of her breasts. Women who have the breast augmentation done report increased self-confidence, self-esteem, and more comfortable with her body. In fact, it has been the most popular procedure in plastic surgery in the US for the past few years. You appear to be an excellent candidate for implants. You are on the border if you need a lift...only an examination can tell. But, it appears that you may be able to get implants alone if you can get enough fullness and projection to slightly raise your nipples. 

Things to to consider during your consultation, which your surgeon will discuss with you, include implant type (saline vs silicone), shape/texturing of implant (round vs shaped/textured vs non-textured), implant position (sub pectoral, subglandular, or subfascial), incision (inframammary fold, periareolar, axillary, or TUBA), and size of implant. This can be performed with/out a breast lift, which would serve to obtain symmetry in breast size or nipple position as well as improve shape. Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory. I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width. Too large of implants for the woman often destroys the breast pocket and breast shape, thus creating an oft seen in correctable problem later.

In general, implant size does not correlate with cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size or implant size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance. Your breast width is the most important measurement.

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Excellent candidate for a breast augmentation without breast lift.

+1

Photograph demonstrates patient with minimal ptosis of the breast. A breast augmentation should give an excellent result.

Can I have a breast augmentation without a lift?

+1

It's hard to say without a physical exam, but from your photo, it looks like you may be a candidate for a breast augmentation without a lift.  You can always do your breast augmentation first and see how you like it.  If you are happy with it, then great! If not, you may consider a donut lift or vertical lift (depends on physical exam).  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Am I a Candidate for Breast Augmentation Without Lift?

+1

A breast augmentation alone in the right hands can yield a great result without the need for a lift.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

Start with implants and or fat rafting to increase volume and shape. If not satisfied than consider lifting as a second operation. 

Breast Asymmetry

+1

Like most patients, you can identify your own asymmetry. In my past, I have measured out each breast to maintain symmetry. Sometimes, an adjustment is made to improve your concerns. Your left breast is smaller according to your photos, so you may need a larger implant on that side.If you are happy with your right side, then you only need a revision on the left. All the best.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a breast lift (mastopexy) or not?

+1

This is probably the most common question asked by my cosmetic breast patients with any droopiness or ptosis of their breasts. There is no absolute or correct answer. It depends on your (the patient's) expectations and desires. Just remember the implant needs to be centered directly behind the nipple, so wherever your breasts/nipple sit currently this is approximately where you can expect the implant to be positioned/settle.

In my practice, my patient's generally expect superior pole fullness/cleavage and a youthful, perky breast appearance without wearing a push-up bra so I tend to offer more lifts. Most of these patients are initially hesitant about the scarring, when in fact they should be more concerned about breast shape, contour and nipple position. I educated them that scars mature and fade over 6-12 months, when breast shape, contour and nipple position generally don't improve and, may in fact, worsen over time.

In my experience you could certainly have an augmentation alone and end up with a "natural" or "matronly" result. You may be perfectly happy and satisfied with your result. However, many of my patients who chose this route then will come back with a horizontal tan line across their chests (above the top of their implants) from a sundress or tube top, asking why when they wear a sundress or top without a bra, their breasts sit low, or do not have superior fullness. I re-explain that the implant must be centered behind their nipple and that generating this superior fullness would require a larger implant combined with a lift. Some elect to have the lift, and others chose to push their breasts up in a bra to generate superior fullness and cleavage.

Finally, attempting to avoid a lift by using an extremely large, high or extra high profile implant is a nothing more than a short term Band-Aid, and does not address the root cause/problem (i.e. stretched/lax and excess skin/tissue). This does nothing but postpones the lift for a short period of time and will only lead to further tissue stretch and thinning requiring an even larger lift to fix. Ultimately, this approach generates a much more complex (and expensive) surgical problem just months to a few short years down the road, so I never encourage patients to go with this approach.

Some of you may then ask why some surgeons you've seen offer this approach to droopy breasts, typically without discussing the other abovementioned options and each options pros and cons. The truth is that it's far easier and quicker for a surgeon to place a large implant without regard for the durability, or lack thereof, than perform a more technically challenging, and longer, lift procedure.

Evan Feldman, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

TO LIFT OR NOT TO LIFT

+1

You appear to have some persistent asymmetry which not unusual after unilateral surgery.  A dual plane breast augmentation would provide the volume you desire in the upper pole. Without a full examination and measurements it is difficult to provide specific recommendations.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation without a lift?

+1

It looks like you may be a candidate for just an augmentation but I can not tell for sure withotu an exam.  A circumareola lift may also be considered.

Appropriate candidate for a breast augmentation without a breast lift

+1

There are several anatomic point I look at to determine if a patient will get a satisfactory result from a breast augmentation Based upon your photographs,  augmentation alone will give you a nice result but will not correct all of your asymmetries.