Am I a Candidate for Arm Lift?

As a follow up to my previous question about convincing a surgeon to do an arm lift, I thought I would provide more detail. I am in Saskatchewan, Canada (not in US), and there are few surgeons here who are willing to do the procedure. I am 5'6 and 193 pounds. I have lost 117 pounds and am within 10 pounds of my ideal weight (185). Am I an arm lift candidate? What about travelling to US for the procedure? What would the cost be? Recovery and follow up?

Arm Lift (Brachioplasty)

+1

A brachioplasty is essentially an upper arm lift. In this procedure, the excess hanging skin and fat in the upper arm is removed. Its the procedure used to correct the common "bat wing" of skin that manifests in patients who have lost a significant amount of weight.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Am I an arm lift candidate?

+1

Hello

You are a good candidate for an arm lift.  I would recommend that you get to your target weight (of which you are almost there) and then have your arm reduction.

Good Luck

Stephen Salerno

Stephen Salerno, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

You Appear to be an Excellent Candidate for an Arm Lift

+1

-Congratulations on your major weight loss!

-Your photos show an abundance of loose skin of the upper arms, and an arm lift (brachioplasty) could definitely help to correct this issue.   The trade off, of course, is a long scar, but most patients are happy to accept the scar in light of a much improved contour.

-You certainly could travel to the U.S. for the procedure. Costs vary depending on region.  I usually leave a drain in on each side and remove them 3-5 days after the procedure. 

-Swelling takes months to completely resolve.

-Best of luck to you!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Am I a Candidate for Arm Lift?

+1

yes, you are a good candidate for a Arm lift, there is not other way to correct the extra skin on your arms.

Walkiris Robles, MD

Arm lift procedure

+1

In Toronto you will find doctors who can do this procedure. It is a 1 to 2 hour procedure and drains are removed in about 3 to 5 days. Cost is up to the doctor. You appear to be a good candidate for an arm lift. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for a arm lift?

+1

Absolutely you are! Congrats on your weight loss!

I would recommend a arm lift combined with a little liposuction. I do this procedure frequently and it's important to understand that you are trading your current floppy arms in for smaller contoured arms with a scar. 

It's important that you do your research and go to a board certified Plastic Surgeon who does this procedure frequently. I think it's reasonable to travel for this procedure as post-op complications are usually infrequent.

Jennifer Harrington MD

Jennifer Harrington, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Am I a Candidate for Arm Lift?

+1

Yes, you are a good candidate for full brachioplasty, lifting. Best to research a US doc closed to home and contact them to obtain fees and length of stay in that city. 

Am I a Candidate for Arm Lift?

+1

An extended arm lift would be the procedure of choice.  In general, drains will be placed and can be removed in a week or two.  The cost may be $8000 or so.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Am I a Candidate for Arm Lift?

+1

You are a very good candidate for an arm lift. I'm not sure why you are having trouble finding a local surgeon as I have many friends who practice plastic surgery in Canada and do arm lifts. If you travel for the surgery, have your life arranged so you can stay locally for 2-3 days and then plan on returning for followup once or twice over the next few weeks. Costs will vary significantly depending on the city and surgeon where the surgery takes place.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Arm lift

+1

Thank you for your question about an arm lift.

• You are an arm lift candidate.
  • You can certainly travel to the US for the arm lift.
  • Recovery takes 1-2 weeks off work and 6 weeks to upper body exercise.
  • Follow up for out of area arm lift patients depends on their ability to return.
  • Arm lift cost varies region to region but will be in the $6000 - $8000 range most likely.
  • Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD