Am I a Candidate for Abdominoplasty? (photo)

I´m 25 y/o and I have had no children or massive weight loss, but for the past 5 years Ive been wanting a TT. No matter how much I work it out my skin always sags. Ive developed a supra umbilican hernia the past year or two and now it is big enough to really bother me. I have scheduled a hernia repair and a TT for next week but Based on my pictures, am I just fat, or is my skin loose? Am I a good candidate?

Tummy Tuck Candidate

+2

Dear Victoria,

If you have had no massive weight loss no children, and are 25 years old, it's unlikely you would need a tummy tuck by looking at your pictures.  As always, I can't say this definitively without a physical exam, but it's likely that your skin would contract nicely with liposuction alone. It doesn't sound as though you have any reason for your skin to be stretched to the point where it wouldn't contract back nicely after liposuction.  That's not to say that a tummy tuck is never necessary in a woman who hasn't had children or massive weight loss, but in your case, I believe thorough liposuction of the abdomen and flanks would be sufficient for you.

As for the issue with the hernia...if you truly have a hernia (not sure if you've been diagnosed with one by a doctor) then you should NOT have lipo until that is repaired.

Hope this helps! Best of luck to you!

Abdominal shaping options

+2

Thank you for the question and the excellent photos.  A 25 year old that is otherwise healthy, has not had children, and has not had massive weight loss will unlikely have significant skin laxity of the abdomen.  You do appear to have excess fat and with that comes some additional skin laxity.  You should consider  that the amount of skin laxity that you have is not significant, you do not have stretch marks, and have otherwise good skin quality.  In addition, given your age, you will likely choose to have kids in the next 5-10 years.  Perhaps the best thing to do is to loose excess weight, have your umbilical hernia repaired if that is still bothering you once you have lost the weight, and re-assess the need for a tummy tuck down the road.  A tummy tuck at this time will likely need a small vertical incision where the belly button used to be if the horizontal incision is kept very low.  With pregnancy most of the work done with a tummy tuck will be undone.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

The only way to correct excess skin of the abdominal wall is by abdominoplasty.

+2

The photograph demonstrates the patient with significant excess skin of the abdomen. Only in abdominoplasty is capable of correcting this condition.

Loose Skin and Hernia - Good Candidate for Tummy Tuck?

+2

With a supraumbilical hernia and loose skin, you are getting a two for one here, and I think you will have a great improvement.

Am I a Candidate for Abdominoplasty? (

+2

From the photos it appears that you are a good candidate for an abdominoplasty, You should benefit from excising the excess skin and fat, and from tightening the abdominal wall. Good luck with your upcoming procedure.  Thanks for your question. 

Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Based on the photos that you have submitted, you appear to be a great candidate for a tummy tuck provided that you are otherwise healthy.  The combination of the hernia repair and repair of your six pack abs that you get from the tummy tuck along with the removal of excess skin and a small amount of excess fat will really help narrow your waist.  Good luck!

Sacha Obaid, MD

No Tummy Tuck Now

+1

If you  have not had children and plan on having children I would not recommend a TT now.  I would recommend treating your hernia at this time.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Am I a Candidate for Abdominoplasty?

+1

yes, first  necessary to solve the hernia, in the same surgery, an abdominoplasty,

the result will be good, but  the scar big.

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon