Am I a Better Candidate for Chin Liposuction or Thermage?

I am a 30 yr old woman who is an average weight. Even at my skinniest (size zero) I've always had a double chin but I notice it's bigger when I'm heavier. My doctor advised against liposuction, saying the problem was excess tissue, not fat. Thermage was recommended instead. I'm hesitant to try Thermage because many reviews say it was expensive and didn't work. Judging from the photo I've attached would I be a good candidate for chin liposuction or Thermage? Thanks!

Liposuction is a Better Option for You

+1

It’s not usual for patients to have concerns about the aesthetic appearance of their chin, jawline, and neck. These concerns are usually related to skin laxity, neck fat, muscle abnormalities, and differences of the underlying bones. The type of procedure performed to correct these problems is entirely dependent upon the anatomic cause of the condition.

Your pictures suggest localized fat of the neck in the presence of relatively tight neck skin. Under these circumstances, thermage would minimally impact this problem. Liposuction of the neck would be the treatment of choice in this situation. The procedure results in dramatic improvement in the contour of the neck and jawline and is associated with high satisfaction rates.

If you’re concerned about your neck contour, consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan that will address your concerns. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Better candidate for liposuction of the neck

+1

The key to liposuction is the quality of the skin and not the amount of fat removed.  If the skin of the neck is tight it will recoil and redrape after liposuction. If the skin is lax then you will just get saggy skin.  You would seem to be a good candidate for liposuction of the neck and submental area.

Chin Liposuction

+1

I would rule out Thermage as you have noted, the results are not consistent.  Have an evaluation by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for other options available to you.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Candidate?

+1

Although difficult to give you good advice without direct examination, based on your picture and your age you will  probably be better off with liposuction surgery.

I would suggest in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Neck Liposuction versus Thermage

+1

I suspect that the increase in size in your “double-chin” with your weight gain is fat, and not just “excess tissue”, but “excess fat”.  Patients hear me say all the time, regardless of the procedure they’re having, “the procedure and results will depend greatly on skin tone and elasticity.  I suspect strongly that you would be best served via liposculpture but this is difficult to determine without direct examination.  

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Lipo or thermage? What about lipo AND thermage??

+1

Thermage tightens the skin over a few months.  Liposuction removes fat and encourages adhesions that make the skin look tighter.  If you can afford it, get both.  Have thermage followed immediately or in a delayed fashion by submental liposuction.  The results can be life changing.

Ritu Chopra, MD

Lipo vs. Thermage for Double Chin

+1

For a young patient with good skin elasticity, neck lipo may offer dramatic results without removing very much fat.  However, it is important that you are evaluated by a board-certified physician trained in the area of neck liposuction to properly evaluate your neck anatomy.  Low lying glands and the position of your hyoid bone in your neck may preclude simple neck liposuction from achieving superior results. 

If you are a good candidate, the simple act of doing neck liposuction creates a tremendous amount of skin retraction in patients with good skin elasticity.  This often is far superior to radiofrequency treatment such as Thermage. 

Melanie D. Palm, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Chin liposuction provides much better results than thermage for most people.

+1

Chin liposuction provides much better results than thermage for most people. If there is fat present, removing fat is more effective than simply tightening skin, although the two can be combined in select patients for even better results (see further information below).

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Neck liposuction has proven results

+1

Neck contouring where fatty deposits reside has proven the test of time, and even when a very small amount of fat is removed the results can be striking. Thermage has been tried in many practices and the results we have seen have been discouraging. In comparison liposuction would get our vote.

peterejohnsonmd

Chin liposuction vs thermage

+1

If you have excess fatty deposits in the submental area (chin) which does not respond to weight loss then you may be a great candidate for liposuction. Since you are young your skin will contract rather nicely in this area.  Thermage uses high frequency radio waves to tighten skin/collagen, it will not remove excess fat.

A board certified plastic surgeon can examine you and determine if you are a good candidate.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD