Was I a Candidate for a Chin Implant?

I had a receding chin and had a chin implant six weeks ago. My profile looks great but when i look in the mirror it doesn't look right. The chin implant has altered my face. It looks like I have a bump and my cheeks are sticking out. Was I not a candidate for a chin implant? Shouldn't my doctor have known this? I've learned that if you are not a candidate placing an implant can cause problems with bone erosion and dental problems. What should I do? How will I know if I am a candidate?

Candidate for chin implant

+1

Based on your photo you appear to have mirogenia(small chin) and would benefit from a chin implant.  Your jaw or mandible also appears too be slightly short and therefore could possibly benefit from a bony advancement of your chin (genioplasty).  A board certified plastic surgeon could better determine which is best by examining you in person.

Since your surgery was only six weeks ago, the bump you are concerned with may still be due to swelling. If you are still concerned, please visit with your surgeon again for a repeat examination.

Dr. Bruno

Options for chin surgery

+1

Thank you for the picture, it is very helpful. However, it is difficult to say. You are a candidate for chin augmentation. Judging from this, in my opinion, you could benefit from a larger chin implant and/or osseous advancement genioplasty and/or sagittal split osteotomy possibly supplemented by neck and micro-cannula liposuction with possible buccal fat extraction.

Chin implant

+1

If the photo is after the implant you have an implant that is too small with regards to projection. The chin, the angle where the nose meets the upper lip, and the eyebrows should all be almost on the same line. You look like you could also benefit from some minor submental liposuction (under the chin area ) The pouches at the corner of your mouth may have little to do with a chin implant but in your case I would recommend not using a wide or extended implant that could accentuate this. A short implant over the point of the chin would probably be best for you. Bone erosion happens slightly but is always insignificant, and dental problems do not arise from standard chin implant work.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for a Chin Implant

+1

Thanks for the posted photo. I assume it is "after" the implant???? You have either a too small implant or it is a pre operative photo. Seek other opinions. Best from MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Chin implant is appropriate for a receeding chin

+1

On the photo you sent, it does appear you have a small chin and you are indeed a candidate for a chin implant. If your procedure was 6 weeks ago, your unusual lumps may just be swelling. It is best to consult with your surgeon about this. I usually feel that if the implant is palpable, it is not placed correctly. If you cannot feel the implant, it should heal well and the bumps resolve.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Concerned with rhinoplasty results

+1

Dear Sharpie,

It would be best to see a before picture of you as well, but it does seem that you have a receeding chin and an implant would be appropriate. Without looking at different shots of your face before and after it is hard to know what may be the problem. It appears to me that the implant may be a bit low on the chin and possible not large enough. Ultimately, if you are unhappy with the result once the sweliing is gone, you need to speak with your surgeon and see if he or she would like to remove the implant or change it for a different shape and size implant. Good luck.

Dr. A. Gantous

Andres Gantous, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Candidacy for Chin Implant

+1

Judging from your limited profile photo (which I assume was taken before the implant placement), you certainly were a good candidate for chin enhancement with an implant.

It is difficult to answer your other questions from a distance, so I would recommend you to discuss them with your surgeon.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon