Am I a Candidate for Buccal Fat Excision?

I am a 24 year old commercial model. I have some baby fat in my cheeks and for this reason, my appearance is not as chiseled as I would like. I have attached some pictures. Am I a candidate for a buccal fat excision? If not, are there any alternatives?

Buccal fat pad reduction to masaculinize

+1

Buccal fat pad reduction is a procedure that is not commonly performed but can make sense in the right patient.  It is important to understand the anatomy before undergoing the surgery so that you are well informed.  Normal aging reduces the buccal fat pad volume.  It is true that some people have more volume in their cheeks than others.  However, it is also universally true that that volume will decrease and descend over time.  Removing too much buccal fat can cause premature aging.  It is also important to remember that replacing fat that has been removed is extraordinarily difficult if not impossible.  The main reason is the location of the buccal fat pad.  It usually resides underneath a large muscle that is responsible for majority of the power motions of your chewing.  Once that fat is removed that space collapses.  Once collapsed it is very difficult to find the exact space and to reinsert a substance such as a filler or better yet fat.  One potential solution is to use something like Sculptra.  While I generally do not advocate buccal fat pad removal, I understand why somewhat would want procedures such as this.  I tried to choose my patients very carefully and I also tried to be conservative in the amount of fat that is removed.  Surgeons who trivialized this procedure simply don’t understand how difficult it is to correct deformities that may occur.  The cost of the procedure can run anywhere from $3000-$7000, depending upon your geographic locale.  Please visit with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  My best advice is to always be conservative with any buccal fat pad reduction.

Buccal (Bichat's) fat pad removal for a 24 y.o. male

+1

Dear Alex1234,

Buccal fat pad removal is a delicate procedure best fitting candidates with chubby cheeks that will not be prone to atrophy with age progression.You do not want to lose your natural facial traits to suffer from a hollow face later on in life.

If you are looking for permanent results to enhance your facial features through facial contouring, I encourage you to seek a consultation with an extensively experienced surgeon who will provide you with the best advises so you will be making an informed decision.

Thank you for uploading your photographs and I wish you the best of luck.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Am I a Candidate for Buccal Fat Excision? OR Better IS the Enemy of Good

+1

Excision of the Buccal (Bichat's) Fat Pad is a rather controversial operation. Aging is associated with loss of facial fat; take for example the appearance of AIDS survivors treated with antiviral medications. That triathelete facial wasted look is NOT attractive in the least. While removing the fat pad may bring about facial enhancement in round, moon faced appearing individuals it is always associated long term with premature facial aging. In an individual who does NOT have excess facial fat and who depends for his livelihood on his facial appearance taking out the pad would be a mistake. You may want to consider enhacing/augmenting the cheek bones instead of depleting the cheeks.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter A Aldea