Am I a candidate, and will I achieve good results with a circumareolar mastopexy with augmentation?

I'm 26, 5'7", 130lbs, no children. There are a few things I do not like with my breasts (asymmetrical, areolas disproportionate to my breast volume, pstosis). Ive seen 2 board certified PS and one said circumareolar lift with aug would produce nice results with minimal scarring, the other said i require a full lollipop lift plus aug to achieve desired results. Which in your opinion is the right procedure and will produce better results? I am aiming for 400CCs gel (minus diff for asymmetry).

Vertical lift is almost always better

+2
Even without measurements, I can say that a vertical breast lift (lollipop) will give you a better shape and longer lasting results with the most predictable scars. You are actually a decent candidate for the circumareolar lift, but you would still do better with a vertical mastopexy. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Circumareolar vs. lolipop mastopexy and implant.

+1
We hear this request all the time. Volume and fullness, (from the implant), and lift. It is difficult to say without a true exam. Their may be trade-offs, size, shape, scar.  Board certified plastic surgeons may have different opinions depending on their training and experience.  Make sure that you have reasonable expectations.  Also ask if the surgeon who is just thinking circumareolar mastopexy if he/she might put the vertical scar on if there is excess tissue.   Together you will come up with a plan that is right for you.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

+1
       I think a vertical lift will manage your anatomy better than the periareolar lift.

Circumareolar Mastopexy

+1
Thank you for your question and for sending photos. The circumareolar scar can work well in patients who require a very small lift and/or reduction in areolar size. Though the idea of a scar only around the areola sounds attractive, this technique tends to flatten the breast. Also compared to "lollipop" or "anchor" techniques, the resulting scar has an irregular texture and takes longer to flatten out. As Dr. Kirby noted below, this scar tends to widen, especially when an augmentation is done with the lift. The "lollipop" or "anchor" techniques allow the surgeon to better shape the breast and give the breast more projection. Since both surgeons who examined you were board certified (and I would assume comfortable with all options of breast surgery), I would go with the surgeon who suggested the "lollipop" approach. 

William McClure, MD

Breast lift technique

+1
This is really a instance where the physical exam is key in determining a final recommendation.  Either lift may suffice depending upon what your expectations are, acceptance of scars, final breast shape desired, and size of areola.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Lollipop lift not circumareolar best for significant breast sagging

+1
Thank you for your question and photograph. Of course an in person examination and consultation is necessary to properly answer your question. That said from your photographs it appears you have significant breast ptosis and a vertical mastopexy or lift such as a lollipop or anchor we'll likely give you the best result when combined with breast augmentation

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Circumareola or lollipop lift

+1
For me, the choice to do one or the other really depends upon your measurements and how much laxity you have.  Best to be seen in person.

Lift and Augmentation

+1
A circumareolar lift leaves the scar around the areola, which can widen over time, especially if a large lift is planned and if a larger implant is used.  It is a difficult scar to control post-operatively and often results in revisions. A full lollipop lift will give you more support in the long run.  Compared to the circumareolar technique, which relies on the skin alone to support your breast and new implant, the lollipop lift gives you support from the inside.  If you are considering the 400cc implants, the lollipop lift will definitely give you the support you will need.  A circumareolar lift will likely stretch considerably and fall over time.  Best of luck!

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon