Am I a Candiate for Asian Eyelid Surgery Even Though I Am Part Asian? (photo)

I am one quarter asian and the rest caucasian. People usually ask me if I am asian. I am uncomfortable with the look of my eyes. Would I be a suitable candidate for asian eyelid surgery to have more normal european eyes, and would my goal be achievable?

Conservative male blepharoplasty

+1

I would be careful about changing the position of your lid crease.  It could feminize you - think Bruce Jenner, Kenny Rogers.  The asymmetry of your creases could be improved, but if your goal is to simply raise them to look more Caucasian, I would advise against it as it may simply make you look more feminine.  

The apperance of the eye can be changed regardless of ethnicity

+1

The apperance of the eye can be changed regardless of ethnicity.  The types of procedures depend on your anatomy, and your specific goals. My advice is to meet with a qualified facial plastic suregon to discuss your goals and to find out what realistic surgical options are available. In general, the techniques for asian eyelid surgery can be applied to many types of anatomic issues and depend more on specific patient anatomy rather that just plain ethnic background.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I Candidate for Asian Eyelid Surgery?

+1

I agree with Dr. Amadi that you have very attractive and natural appearing eyes. Looking at your eyelids carefully, I notice that you do have right upper eyelid fold almost touching your eyelashes. Depending on how the appearance of your eyelids concern you, one may consider carefully addressing that issue. A surgeon has to be comfortable in offering you a procedure which can satisfy your desired goal. In most cases, I see that patients are satisfied with the procedure as long as it is not too aggressive in altering the natural appearance.

Imtiaz A. Chaudhry, MD, PhD, FACS
Houston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Surgery is not for you!

+1

Although removing a bit of upper eyelid skin will allow more of your lid to be seen as in the caucasian eyelid, you run the risk of looking unnatural.

You have very attractive, natural appearing eyes that is evident of your mixed heritage. I would recommend embracing this rather than trying to change it.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon