A Bump in the Middle 4 Months Post Rhinoplasty? (photo)

It's been 4 months since my surgery, and while my nose isn't as swolen as it used to be, the tip and lower portion are still rather hard to the touch, the upper portion feels bumpy, but what concerns me the most is this big, protruding bump right in the middle and I wanted to know if all this things are normal and if the big bump is going to go down or if it's a pollybeak deformity? I'll be seeing my surgeon in two weeks and just wanted to have other opinions as well. Thank you in advance.

You may consider getting a second opinion regarding the bump on your nose after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+2

I read your concerns and reviewed your profile photos:

You appear to have excessive cartilage in your lower bridge that is causing the bump. At 4 months post-op, I doubt this will significantly diminish with time. Your tip is a bit overrotated, and your tip also is underprojected which makes the bump more obvious. Along with this, you have a "tension lip" which is a bulge where your columella meets your upper lip.

You may present these concerns to your surgeon, but it may be prudent to get a second opinion from another reputable, experienced rhinoplasty specialist to see what might be best for you.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hump still present after rhinoplasty

+2
It might be that you have a 'supratip' fullness. However, my bet is that the hump was not completely reduced. In any case, you will need a secondary rhinoplasty to improve your result. Secondary surgery is rarely a 'minor' fix, and should be approached with care and planning.

A Bump in the Middle 4 Months Post Rhinoplasty?

+2

This could be cartilages grafts used as spreader grafts that has dislocated or tip ptosis as well as other causes described below. In any case, you will need correction.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Thanks for sharing the photo side views. This is a poorly under resected dorsal hump or supretip, polly tip deformity. Seek revision rhinoplasty. 

Supra tip fullness

+2

Though the tip firmness is totally normal this far out from surgery, the dorsal fullness looks like you will need to have more cartilage removed or slight shaving of the nasal bone as well...if it is scar tissue(less likely), it may respond to time and possibly a steroid injection.  An exam would be necessary to determine this.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Supratip fullness at 4 months

+2

Based on your description it appears that you do have a supratip deformity - this will not improve with time but a revision can correct the problem

Sam Naficy, MD

Bump in middle...likely a polybeak...

+2

Beebster:

It looks like a polybeak deformity to me. Its easily correctable with minor revision surgery. Don't panic. It can happen to anyone.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Michael in Miami

Michael Salzhauer, MD

You may need to have additional tissue removed from your dorsum (hump)

+1

Thank you for the question.  Although some swelling may still be evident I suspect that you have additnioal cartillage in your dorsum (bridge, hump) that needs to be removed.  I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon at your next meeting in two weeks and ask him/her about the timing of any revision surgery.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Pollybeak Appearance

+1

Hi,

You are right .. what you have is a cartilagenous pollybeak deformity. You will need to revise this and the dorsal septal cartilage needs to be reduced.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS