I am 5'8 and 140 pounds and I am going in to have breast implants. I have chosen 550 cc. Will they be too big?

I am smaller but i have broad shoulders... my doctor told me that if i liked the 500 cc to go 550 because once under the muscle they would turn out smaller. keep in mind i am not even a full A cup and i am 21 years old

BBA

+1
This is always a difficult decision for some. In my opinion, the best thing to do is have a thorough sizing session. I provide my patients with a range of about 3-4 implants that are appropriate for their specific measurements. I then have them try these implants on in a special sizing bra. With this process, my patients have been able to choose their own implants. I have found this to be the best method for implant sizing. Be sure to see a board certified PS in your area. They should be willing to spend the time with you doing this. Best of luck!

Avoid large implants

+1
Unfortunately, you have not told us your bra size just your cup size.If you are 32 or 34 each 100 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.If you are 36 or 38 each 200 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.From this, you can compute the volume required to achieve your desired goal.500 or 550 cc implants are large, will not fit retro-pectoral, will extrude inferiorly and laterally requiring revision.22% of women who undergo breast augmentation alone require revision within 2 years because they are dissatisfied with the result.A frequent cause of dissatisfaction is over implantation.I always recommend small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision.Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it.Since you are 21, you cannot have silicone implants, only saline implants.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast

+1

To best help you, a physical examination or picture evaluation is required in order to determine which procedures and techniques would be best for your case/

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size selection

+1
The truth is that with a breast augmentation the breast can be made very large.  This does not mean that it is the best choice for each individual.  The size of a breast implant will usually fall with an objective range for each woman depending upon the breast base diameter, quality and quantity of breast tissue.  Your plastic surgeon is your guide to help you select the correct implant to meet your expectations and give you a nice long lasting result.  A 550 cc implant weighs over one pound so there is much to consider.  

Breast implant size

+1
  • Your surgeon is recommending a large implant - you are likely to be a DD.
  • This is a big implant for a young woman with A cupt breasts.
  • The implant is likely to cause drooping of the breasts, just as naturally large breasts do.
  • Unless your breasts have plenty of loose skin, the result may look artificial.
  • What about a second opinion with another Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to do measurements, assessment of your skin, discussion of your goals before you go ahead with surgery? Take a friend you trust with you - sometimes it's easier for friends to question a surgeon. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

550 cc breast implants are very large and may be too big for you

+1
550 cc breast implants are very large.  Generally speaking having breast implants larger than the 450 cc range can increase your chances of complications.

In my experience in average-sized women 550 cc implants look large and often obvious as implants.

Please reconsult her plastic surgeon for measurements of your breast and chest which the surgeon can use to evaluate best size considerations based on a table given by the implant manufacturers.  I also suggest that you visit the manufacturers website such as loveyourlook.com to see photographs of patients who have had implants that large.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

+1

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or “C or D cup” or "too big for my frame” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

The use of computer imaging technology may also be very helpful during this communication process.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

Picking your implant size

+1
To help my patients achieve their goals, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

I have chosen 550 cc. Will they be too big?

+1
Those sound quite large to me, but the only person who can really make informed comments on implant size is a doctor who has examined you.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD