What Can Be Done About Wrinkles from Exercising?

Three months ago, I noticed wrinkles on my cheeks, so I read about facial yoga and I started to do the exercises a lot. Two weeks ago, I looked at myself and I noticed that the fine lines I used to have are now very deep.

Something tells me this is the result of the exercises. Otherwise, I don't understand how can wrinkles get this deep this fast, besides I'm only 31. Anyway, can I improve them? Can dynamic wrinkles be improved in some way? I hate to think they look this bad because of me and my facial exercises

Facial muscle movement leads to wrinkles...do more, get more...

+1

so yes the exercises can make the problem worse but three months isn't very long...depending where the wrinkles are either botox or a filler may be in order...if the problem is with your cheeks, then a filler may be more likely to succeed...by the way, did you lose a fair amount of weight...this may be another contributing factor...

Botox

+1

Your observation that your wrinkles became deeper following facial exercises rings true. It is the dynamic movement of these muscles that causes such lines as the forehead lines, 11's in the glabella, crow's feet, "smile" lines, etc.

You can undo the effect of your facial exercises with Botox. Botox, as I am sure you know, has a relaxing ( actually paralyzing) effect on muscles. The dynamic wrinkles of the upper face are very amenable to treatment with Botox.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Facial exercises have been discouraged by doctors since ancient times

+1

Facial exercises have been discouraged by doctors since ancient times, but people for some reason still find them alluring. At first blush, facial exercises may make sense, but think about it: the reason you develop smile lines, of worry lines is from using your facial muscles over the years. Stopping the exercises will help the line to fade some . Otherwise fillers or Botox may be needed to improve them.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Relax the muscles that are causing the wrinkles.

+1

This is essentially why botulinum toxin works so well. It relaxes the muscles that cause the resulting pleats or wrinkles in the overlying skin. You may want to consider this. If you relax the muscles, it is likely that you will see improvements.

Exercise and facial wrinkles

+1

If you exercise vigorously, you will lose body fat and this will accentuate the lines in your face.  Also, excessive facial muscle activity will also accentuate the lines in your face rather than correcting them. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS