Will Wisdom Teeth Extraction Cause Teeth to Shift?

I haven't yet had my braces off for 6 months and my dentist has just informed me that I need to get my wisdom teeth extracted in the near future. There have been concerns in my family that having the surgery may cause the newly-straightened teeth to shift, resulting in the need for another round of braces, which is not exactly economical. Should I be worried about shifting, or not?

Should be fine

+2

Teeth move when there is a force acting on it and do not spontaneously move. After braces, you normally would be wearing a retainer of some sort. This retainer will help keep the teeth in position as the teeth settle and the bone gets dense.

The extractions will likely be uneventful and the teeth should stay put.

Web reference: http://www.DrTimmerman.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.