Will Massaging the Nose After Rhinoplasty Help?

Does massaging the nose after Rhinoplasty help in eliminating scar tissue and swelling? If so, please explain how.

Yes, gentle massage after rhinoplasty may help

+4

Rhino7,

The nose, especially the skin around the tip, normally swells after rhinoplasty. Most swelling resolves in a few weeks, but the last 20% of nasal swelling takes at least 1 year to resolve.

Gently pressure and massage may be appropriate after rhinoplasty. The bridge, middle, or tip of the nose may be massaged.

Scar tissue softens and swollen tissue is reduced with any massage of the skin. Pressure that is too forceful may shift and move the nasal bones and cartilage.

Steroid injection under the skin may be required to help control swelling, scar, and edema.

Speak to your facial plastic surgeon if nasal massage is appropriate for your particular case.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Avoid Nasal Massage Following Rhinoplasty

+2
Rhinoplasty surgery consists of a series of delicate maneuvers designed to alter the appearance of the nose. These often consist of fine structural sutures and placement of cartilage grafts. Manipulation of the nose can result in disruption of these structures and displacement of cartilage grafts. For this reason, we generally avoid nasal massage following rhinoplasty. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Massage After Rhinoplasty

+1

Your plastic surgeon will instruct you on your post-procedure care.  Very gentle massaging of the nose after surgery can be an appropriate instruction to help support swelling reduction, but each patients' post-op recommendations are based on the circumstances of their individual procedure.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Massaging your nose after rhinoplasty

+1

In general, it is best not to massage your nose after rhinoplasty as it is possible, although unlikely, that vigorous rubbing or manipulation in the first few weeks could pop a delicate stitch or otherwise disturb the corrections made and affect the cosmetic result. Some people habitually rub the tips of their noses. Recognize that this will not likely ruin the result but may cause more irritation and swelling.

That being said, your nose is not glass after surgery. In fact, it will feel quite stiff and wooden. Rolling over onto your nose during sleep or lightly bumping your nose will not make it end up on the side of your head. So, you don't have to walk around in a bubble after surgery. 

After about a month, the skin starts to wrap around the cartilage, and the bone is almost set, so contact to your nose is less likely to cause any shift or problems with healing.

Some surgeons recommend 'nasal exercises' which essentially amount to light lymphatic drainage. These will not be harmful but may not do much either. Instead, we ask patients to tape the nose at night for the first month to help skin contract and push out swelling. 

Jason Litner, MD

+1

I do not recommend massaging the nose after rhinoplasty as there is usually no benefit to this maneuver. The swelling is usually handled  by a splint and steristrips.  The steristrips may be worn for a month.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Generally, no massaging after Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

The healing process can take months and even up to a year until you see the final results. You want to be careful about not injuring your nose so when it comes to massaging, I would definitely check with your doctor and see what he recommends. Generally, time is the best thing to help with the healing. Massaging is more commonly recommended with all other cosmetic procedures.

Best regards.

Sam Speron, MD

Rhinoplasty and massage

+1

I would absolutely  not massage the nose after a rhinoplasty. You may disturb some of the work performed.  The tissue swelling will take a while to go down, maybe up to a year. You have to be patient.

Leave the nose alone after rhinoplasty

+1

During the rhinoplasty procedure, delicate sutures are placed to hold delicate pieces of cartilage. In addition, the bones may have been fractured and reset in a new position.

There is a fair amount of swelling and healing that takes place and it is typical for that to take 6 months to really improve. These delicate structures can be moved out of place if massaged. I do not recommend massage to my patients post rhinoplasty.

Good luck!

Sirish Maddali, MD

No.

+1

This will not help the healing and can injure the nose if done too soon after surgery. Let nature do what it needs to do.

Routine massage of the nose is not recommended

+1

In general I do not routinely recommend massage of the nose following rhinoplasty.  In some cases gentle massage may be indicated when there is significant swelling of the upper portion of the nose after surgery.