Will Insurance Cover Botox for Hyperhidrosis?

I have been trying to get my insurance company to pay for treatment to help stop sweating. My dermatologist's office walked me through the processes and provided me with the correct paperwork, but I can't get a guarantee that it will be covered.
If I want this treatment, hyperhidrosis, using Botox, can I pay for it and how much would it be? The clinic I go to said it would be very expensive and I didn't bother to ask how much... I wish I would have...

Very selective cases of hyperhidrosis are covered by insurance

+2

Hello and Thank you for asking this question.

Some of my Dermatology clinics see significant traffic of patients seeking this treatment for excessive sweating, however we are finding that few cases are being approved by insurance for coverage of treatment using Botox.

There are a series of other products available that my be less expensive and potentially helpful in providing relief. If you have tried several products and are not seeing significant changes in your excessive sweating, I do suggest Botox Therapeutic treatment.

We have recently implemented a program using CareCredit to help patients afford these treatments by making monthly payments to this finance company, and have proposed 2 treatment levels.

From our experience, we know that a vial (100 units) of Botox is maximum dosage used in each underarm, palm of hand, or sole of foot. However, we also recognize that 1/2 of this dosage (50 units) is quite effective as well.

Treatment pricing for Hyperhidrosis in our clinic is as follows: 100 unit treatment total (1/2 dosage): $850, and 200 unit treatment total (full dosage) is $1500.

I wish you success in finding a treatment to provide relief from sweating and understand how frustrating this can be for you.

Take care.

Minnesota Dermatologist

Botox For Hyperhidrosis

+1
It really depends on your insurance company whether Botox can be covered to treat hyperhidrosis. The number of units depends on the extent of treatment desired, therefore it would be difficult to say how much it would be for you.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Botox For Underarm Sweating- Will Insurance Pay?

+1

Insurance typically will not pay for underarm sweating treatments with botox.  Most experienced injectors offer a "volume" discount for hyperhidrosis so that the injection fees are not outrageous.  Typical costs for underarms can be as little as $500 for a session.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Underarm sweating and Miradry

+1

Hyperhidrosis treatments can sometimes be covered by insurance, but insurance carriers vary by state and by policy.  The Miradry procedure is an amazing addition to treatments as it can provide longlasting control of underam sweating. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Insurance for Sweat...unfortunately at the present time coverage is unpredictable...

+1

botox is FDA approved for treatment of excessive underarm sweating...as a result many insurances at least take a look at coverage...on the other hand most will not cover treatment for excessive perspiration of the palms, soles, etc...the good news is underarm sweating remains the most frequent problem people seek treatment for...therapy typically works for 6-12 months...much longer than when used for cosmetic purposes...in most areas of the country the cost ranges between about $700-1500 depending on the locale and the amount of product required...if it lasts a year...that's about $20 a week...not too bad...and remember botox takes away so much worry and is such a nifty solution to a terribly embarrassing and disturbing problem....

Ken Landow, MD

Botox for hyperhidrosis and coverage

+1

Botox is a great treatment option for hyperhidrosis, and in Canada the vast majority of private insurance plans cover the treatment. Best to speak with your dermatologist as you have to clarify coverage, as every plan is different. In Canada, the cost for treating one area such as the armpits is typically $1100-$1500, and it lasts 6-12 months in most people. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Insurance Coverage for Hyperhidrosis

+1

Botox is indeed very expensive and needs to be repeated.

For underarm hyperhidrosis, laser treatment is very effective. We currently use the SmartLipo Triplex to ablate the axillary sweat glands.  This is a one time treatment.  We have not tried to get insurance coverage, but the cost out of pocket is currently around 3,000.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Hyperhidrosis and Insurance Coverage

+1

Botox is FDA approved for hyperhidrosis treatment and therefore it is difficult for insurance companies to not cover this treatment - but, they do try to manage to do that - they simply look for reasons to deny coverage - and therefore, it is incumbent on the patient and treating physician to try every conservative option before submitting paperwork to obtain authorizationf to inject Botox for hyperhidrosis. This includes a trial of alternative products (natural supplements like sage, etc), topical products (prescription and non prescription over-the-counter products), oral anticholinergics, iontophoresis (for palmar and plantar hyperhidrosis) and so on.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Coverage and complete reimbursement are not the same

+1

Just because your insurance company will cover the procedure, doesn't mean that the cost will be completely reimbursed. There are several hoops that the insurance company will require you to jump through prior to obtaining reimbursement. In my experience, it has been increasingly more difficult to obtain coverage

Botox for Hyperhidrosis

+1

The answer depends on your insurance company. Each one has a policy about hyperhidrosis on their website, but in my experience most will initially reject claims for Botox for hyperhidrosis. Sometimes they will pay after you write letters and fight with them, but they pay very little (I have even had a case where they paid us less than the cost of the bottle of Botox).

We eventually gave up on trying to go through insurance when it comes to Botox for hyperhidrosis and patients just pay us out of pocket for the procedure. If they are willing to travel, I refer patients to a doctor at the University of Miami who is able to treat hyperhidrosis with Botox using insurance (perhaps because she is more successful in getting reimbursed because she has the "power" of the University behind her.)

Todd Minars, MD
Miami Dermatologist