Will Breasts Be Pulled Down During Tummy Tuck?

When they pull my skin down to remove the excess during Tummy Tuck, will this pull my breasts down as well?

Effect of Tummy Tuck on Breast Position

+2

During a typical tummy tuck you would not notice any change to your breast position. The area from the tummy tuck surgery is separated from the breast and it is not typically violated. If you have any combination procedures that create a connection between the areas of the abdomen and the breast, then you will see some shifting of the breast position and specially the location of the breast fold. That is very rare, however, This is something to discuss with your surgeon regarding the specific procedure(s) you are having.

Will breasts be pulled down during Tummy Tuck?

+2

Unlikely.

Each one of us does a tummy tuck slightly differently. In the "classic" abdominoplasty the tummy skin is lifted from just above the pubic area to close to the lower edges of the ribs sideways and centrally to the area of the triangle where the two sides of the chest meet the midline. There there is no need to undermine the tummy skin all the way up to the actual breast in a routine tummy tuck.

Doing so does NOT enhance the tummy tuck but can weaken the breast support and potentially reduces the blood flow in the raised tummy skin.

The bottom of the breasts (inframammary fold area) is VERY densely adherent to the chest. (you can see for yourself. Put a finger 3 inches away from the lower fold of the breast. First against the breast,flex your finger and watch the breast moving upwards easily. Now - do it with the finger firmly planted on the chest wall 3 inches below the fold, try and pull the breast down. It does NOT budge. Because of the dense attachments in the area not allowing movement).

In the hundreds of cases I have done, I never saw a down pulling of the breast. But, i suppose that if some people decide to dissect WAY above the ribs (which few of us, if any do), this may be seen.

Ask your surgeon this question and listen carefully to his / her answer.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD, FACS

No

+2

The typical tummy tuck will not effect the shape and position of the breast. Breast tissue has strong attachments to the rib cage and will not migrate down with tummy tuck.  There are some cases that patient had poor inframammary ligaments and you will see some pulling on the breast ,but this is exception .

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast Movement During Tummy Tuck

+2

There should be minimal, if any, downward migration of the breasts or inframammary fold during a properly perofrmed  tummy tuck.  The inframammary fold is a relatively fixed point and there should not be any significant movement.

John Whitt, MD

Movement of the breasts with a tummy tuck

+2

This is a very good question, and the answer is yes! Although, they won't be moved down much. This is particularly important when you get tummy tuck at the same time as a tummy tuck because the incisions to place the implants may become more noticeable after the tummy tuck. However, with just a tummy tuck your breast shape shouldn't change too dramatically.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Possible relocation of inframammary fold during tummy tuck

+2

The change in position of the inframammary fold of the breast is quite possible. This is dependent on the extent of the dissection; the closer to the fold the dfissection goes, the more the tummy tuck will effect the fold. It also depends on the amount of displacement or tension that is applied to the abdominal flaps. A "gentle" tummy tuck might not effec the fold position while a very tight one will. Discuss this concern with your surgeon especially if you are having a simultaneous breast lift, reduction, or augmentation..

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breasts are not affected by tummy tuck

+2

The downward pull on the abdominal skin during a tummy tuck has no affect on the breasts as long as your inframammary creases are normal.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Are the breasts pulled down during Tummy Tuck?

+2

During a classical Tummy Tuck, the skin is elevated to the level of the ribs.

The fold under the breast is at leas two rib levels above the rib margin even with large breasts. I suppose it is possible to get some skin stretch to pull down the breasts but during the many years I did the classical tummy tuck I never noticed it.

The Lockwood technique does not even go near the breasts and it elevates much less tissue. It also has less incidence of fluid collections, numbness, etc. If you are interested in hearing more about it, check the link below.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Breasts should not pull down with tummy tuck

+1

It would be very unusual for the breast to be pulled down from a tummy tuck. The breast fold is a very well defined structure in most patients and this should not be disrupted during a tummy tuck. It is possible to move the breast fold during breast surgery, so this should be discussed with your Plastic Surgeon if you are having a combined procedure.

The inframammary fold, or breast fold, is where the breast skin is attached to the strong connective tissue underneath the breast, along the lower rib cage. This may be intentionally altered during breast augmentation, breast lifts or other types of reconstruction of the breast. It is also possible to change this fold inadvertently during any breast surgery, but not likely during a tummy tuck.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Yes, but it's hard to know how much

+1

Depending on how "mobile" your skin is in the upper abdomen, the fold may move a little or a lot! The only time that I've ever seen it create a problem is when a breast augmentation is being done at the same time. You can effectively "pull the breasts off the implants" if there is enough mobility. Just be sure to discuss these concerns with your surgeon at your consultation and good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon