Will Breast Implants Affect my Golf Swing?

I'm considering breast implants but have concerns that as a an almost-pro golfer they will change my swing - is this a possibility?

It might, but you'll have an excuse for that slice

+2

Clearly you've been playing golf for a long time and therefore you are highly in tune with your body. Breast implants will add a new issue to have to deal with. With that said I don't think it will be a tremendous adjustment as long as the implants are not too big.

If you were a pro I'd say no but since you're not you can enjoy both enhanced breasts and a great game.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Possible for breast implants to affect golf swing, but unlikely

+1

Your concern is reasonable. As long as you stay on the small side you should be OK although there is always a chance. Having operated on high level athletes and fitness models, I cannot remember that last case in which a moderate enlargement caused problems.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation is not considered a hazard under PGA rules

+1

I have many patients who are active competitive athletes, some even professional, who have undergone breast augmentation. Initially during the healing process, you may have some discomfort with your swing, but as you recuperate, things should return to normal. I would assume that being athletic, you're probably not going from A cup to a D cup. Going up 1-2 cup sizes should not affect your swing in the long run. If the implants are being placed under the muscle, your recovery time will be 1-2 weeks longer and you will have to gradually get back into the golf, starting with putting and short irons and working your way up to woods and fairway irons.

You can ask your physician about placing sample implants into your bra to get an idea of how the extra weight feels,but this is not always an accurate correlation to the actual final augmentation result.

Do you want them to?

+1

Have you heard the one about the woman who goes to the plastic surgeon and asks him, "Doc, will I be able to play golf after my breast augmentation." He answers her, "of course; you will have a very powerful swing." "Awesome," she says, "Because I could never play well before."

I've done breast augmentation on professional golfers. Out of concerned for affecting the stroke, I placed the implants in front of the muscle. There were therefore no effects on their stroke whatsoever. But being lean athletes, the implant edges were more visible than might have been ideal.

in more recent years, I have again operated on college level as well as profressional tennis players and golfers, typically placing the implants behind the muscle. And in no case was there any effect on the stroke. Of course, they all wanted reasonable implant sizes that would fit with their athletic bodies, and surgical technique was meticulous.

So the bottom line is that though no surgeon can promise you there will not be an effect on your stroke, the likeihood is overwhelmingly that there will not be.

Appropriate size and stay above the muscle

+1

It is always better for athelete to have a relatively small implant and to go above the muscle. This will keep the function and range of motion of your muscles intact. Best of luck!

Web reference: http://newportplastic.com/

Breast Implants and Exercise, Sports

+1

Patients with breast implants are fully functional and can engage in all strenuous exercise once the surgery is complete and the postoperative recovery period is passed.

In my practice, I suggest that women who are highly active consider implants that are slightly smaller than their non-active counterparts.

They might!

+1

if you choose nicely proportional implants you should not have a problem. If you choose devices that are large for your body, you can have an effect on your swing. err on a smaller size and you should be fine. If you are vying to become a pro, you might want to wait.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and golf swing

+1

Interesting question. Besides asking us( plastic surgeons) you may want to ask a golf pro( perhaps a female?) Since I am a golfer I would say that plenty of large breasted women can play golf. Be that as it may, the implants may get in the way a bit if you are not comfortable and possibly could change your swing dynamics a bit.

They might unless they are small.

+1

Hi!

In New York, we have had one patient who is a competitive swimmer, who felt that her performance was not as good after breast augmentation.  Of course they are very different sports.

My advice would be use small breast implants, and have them put over the muscle.  Or else don't do it.

MOst likely no if you chose an appropriate implant

+1

As long as you stay with an appropriate sized implant for your frame. This should not be a problem. I have performed breast augmentation on a number of women who golf and I have one patient who said it affected her swing. In this particular patients case, her breasts were widely spaced on her chest and I actually cautioned against the size she chose. Have the plastic surgeon you see place the implants you chose in a sports bra so you can actually practice your swing with them in place. I wish you well.

Dr Edwards

Web reference: http://medwardsmd.com/plasticsurgery_questions1.html