Widase or Vitrase for Juvederm Corrections

I had Juvederm injections - two vials and and 15 of Botox a week ago and am not happy with the results. I only had it done around the mouth. Now the area above my lip looks too puffy, as well as the other side of my  lower lip. You mentioned that Widase or Vitrase can correct the problem. How is it administered and how quickly does it work?

"It's the Filler, not the filler"

+3

Hi Loretta,

Widase and Vitrase are administered by injection into the area where the hyaluronic acid filler has been placed. They work rather quickly and you should see improvement within 24 hours. Sometimes it may be necessary to return for a second or third injection. Sorry that you have had unsatisfactory results, but the good news is that it should be reversible. Your experience is another example of the importance of choosing your treating physician most carefully. Correcting the deformity is also a procedure to have done by an experienced cosmetic physician. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Vitrase After Juvederm

+1

My first observation is that 1 week after the procedure, reassurance from the Doctor who injected the Juvederm is the best option to consider; the swelling is likely to improve. My second observation is that 2 vials of Juvederm, if injected into the area around the mouth and lips only, is a rather large amount. My third observation is that Juvederm is more hydrophilic than Restylane and can lead to a more watery or "puffier" appearance. For this reason, I prefer Juvederm in younger lips and Restylane for older or more sun damaged lips. If you are unhappy with your appearance in another week or two, Vitrase could be considered.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Vitrase for Juvederm reversal

+1

Vitrase is administered by injection. It is injected into the same area of the tissue as the hyaluronic acid product (Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane) was injected previously. It is an enzyme used to break down (reverse) these products and works fairly quickly, usually within 24 hours.

Before opting for this solution, we would go back to your original injector for an evaluation as only 1 week after the procedures, you may have some swelling, and you may also be able to move the product a round a bit for possible correction.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Hyaluronidase is a good option

+1

My suggestion at this point is to visit with the physician that performed your procedure. In some cases especially only a week after injection, time and some massage can get the desired results. If hyaluronidase (tradenames Vitrase and Wydase) is necessary, the results are usually seen fairly quickly. If you do proceed with hyaluronidase injections, be sure to visit with an experienced facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or dermatologist for the injections.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting Contour Problems from Fillers

+1

Widase and Vitrase are both preparations of hyaluronidase. They will both be effective in correcting contour irregularities from hyaluronic acid injections. 2 vials can be a lot for a patient to handle, especially on the first injection.

The skin sometimes has a hard time redraping around this much new volume, especially if it is all placed in a concentrated area. It's the equivalent of trying to get a fitted sheet over a new mattress. You really have to strech hard to get it to fit. After the mattress settles and softens, then it fits without a problem.

I usually limit filler treatments to 1 vial and then invite patients to come back in 2 weeks if they feel additional correction is necessary. Most patients don't feel they need it and the ones that do are much easier to inject (the mattress has already settled).

Either way, with or without hyaluronidase injections to smooth out your result, your problems are not permanent.

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon