Why Did J&J Kill Evolence?

Physicians were notified today that Evolence was immediately pulled from the US market.  Why do you think J&J took this action?

Evolence off the U.S. market mostly for economic reasons

+2

It is well-known that Johnson and Johnson pulled Evolence off the U.S. market mostly for economic reasons. Evolence was introduced around the time when the last U.S. recession started and it did not compete well against hyaluronic acid based fillers. The final nail in the coffin happened when Johnson and Johnson decided to consolidate its cosmetic sales force with acquisition of Mentor. The safety profile of Evolence remains robust as there has not been any confirmed report true allergy to Evolence thus safety concern did not contribute to Johnson and Johnson decision.

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Evolence Pulled

+2

Evolence, a collagen filler, showed considerable promise but was pulled from marketplace due the company having inadequate funding to market the product successfully.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Cessation of Evolence

+1

Evolence was J&J's first foray into the cosmetic product's arena. They have had very little experience in product support and marketing. They have been relatively conservative in promoting the product. They also have purchased a breast implant company but have been very subtle in exerting it;s influence.

I have been relatively pleased with the product and am disappointed that they will cease distributing it. It may be picked up by another smaller company and be reintroduced... so stay tuned. Clearly there is a learning curve and the product is delivered very differently than other products. This likely made it a less popular and hence a less requested product. I was pleased with the very low incidence of bruising and bleeding.

Evolence pulled from the cosmetic filler market

+1

It is my opinion that Evolence was pulled for several reasons. The first is that they never achieved the market share that they were looking for and just couldn't compete with the hyaluronic acid fillers, Restylane and Juvederm. Secondly, the product required a lot more product to achieve the same degree of correction and it didn't work in the lips. Finally, I believe that patients had a higher incidence of lumpiness after the injections which was uncommon with the other fillers.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not enough market share

+1

Evolence just never got over the 25 million dollar mark. It never took off with doctors or patients. Perhaps because it was animal based. Perhaps because it required a lot of material to mimic the correction of fillers already on the market. Perhaps because it required a lot of massage and if that was not done, lumps were very common. In the end, the marketplace just never embraced the product in its current form. Evolence Breeze may be better, if we ever get it in the US.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist