When is Blepharoplasty Medically Necessary?

When is blepharoplasty considered to be medically necessary? The skin on my upper eyelids hangs down over my eyelashes. It tends to push my eyelashes into my eyes and makes it hard for me to use my computer without tilting my head back. My eyes also get tired and my vision blurs towards the end of the day. I would like to get this fixed, but I am not sure if insurance typically covers this sort of thing.  When I talk to my insurance company about this, is there anything in particular that I should mention?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Upper blepharoplasty or brow lift for medical condition

+1

Dan H.

Yes, plastic surgery of the upper eyelid (blepharoplasty) can be performed for medical conditions where the excess skin of the eyelid and/or brow obstructs the visual field. Blepharoplasty is not all cosmetic. The eyelid itself may be droopy or ptotic too. Severe eyebrow descent, in addition to the upper eyelid descent, may affect visual field. Patients typically have to tilt their head or strain to lift the eyelids and eyebrow for routine vision. Some may develop chronic headaches.

Insurance coverage may be complete, partial, or declined based on multiple factors. Speak with a surgeon who specializes in the eyelids and eyebrow to see if plastic surgery is appropriate for you. Best of luck.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty & Insurance Coverage

+1

The majority of blepharoplasties are viewed as cosmetic by insurance carriers. Rarely, insurance companies will cover the expense of an isolated upper eyelid blepharoplasty. Under these circumstances the insurance company will declare that the procedure is medically necessary.

Before this can occur, the insurance carrier requires that certain criteria be met. These include medical documentation of symptoms and physical findings associated with visual field obstruction. In addition, they require formal visual field studies performed be an Ophthalmologist or Optometrist. These studies must confirm the presence of significant visual field obstruction.

Once these studies are complete, a prior authorization letter is sent to the third party payer. This should include the visual field studies and any other pertinent information. If the insurance company’s criteria are met, then occasionally they will cover the expense of blepharoplasty surgery.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Visual Field Impairment & Eyelid Surgery

+1

Some patients seeking eyelid surgery actually have visual field impairment secondary to eyelid skin obstructing their vision. If actual visual disturbance is suspected, then it will be necessary to have the visual fields tested. The visual field is the area that one would expect a person with normal vision to see. If drooping eyelids actually obstruct the vision it is often in the upper outer portion of the normal field one commonly sees. In order to document this, it will be necessary to undergo an examination by an ophthalmologist or an optometrist to document the actual visual field impairment. Once this documentation is received by the plastic surgeon, a letter will be formulated and photographs taken. This preauthorization letter will include the recommendations for the procedure or procedures necessary to correct the visual field impairment. When properly documented, many insurance companies will pay for these procedures.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Insurance Coverage for Upper Eyelid Surgery

+1

Thank you for the question. Typically, this requires documentation of obstructed field of vision (generally by an ophthalmologist or optometrist). Even then, some insurers will make it difficult. Best of luck!

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscofacialplasticsurgery.com/upper-bleph.php

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

+1

Upper Blepharoplasty may be medically necessary and in some cases covered by insurance if your vision is impaired due to excess upper eyelid skin. Insurance companies typically have you see an eye doctor first, who will put you through a series of tests to see if you qualify. Consult with your doctor to see if you are a potential candidate for an insurance related upper Blepharoplasty then consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon who takes insurance claims.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Insurance carriers usually want a visual field examination by an ophthalmologist and it must be at least 25% defect in the upper field to qualify for insurance coverage of upper blepharoplasty.  It is important to review your actual coverage with your insurance carrier concerning this issue and have your anticipated surgery precertified. Discuss this coverage with your surgeon’s coordinator prior to the procedure.

Web reference: http://www.drvitenas.com/blepharoplasty.html

Blepharoplasty's Medical Necessity

+1

First, a person would need to determine if they have the right amount of coverage through their insurance policy to make sure a medically necessary blepharoplasty would be covered. Then, your insurance company will more than likely require you to see the ophthalmologist so that they can determine if your eye lids are drooping to such a degree that at least 25-30% of your visual field is obstructed. In a patient where that is the case, a blepharoplasty would definitely be a great procedure to reduce excess skin or fat obstructing the eye. Necessity

Web reference: http://www.capefearaesthetics.com/details/plastic+surgery-19/

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Medically Necessary Blepharoplasty

+1

The only time there is truly a medically necessary upper and lower blepharoplasty is if the redundant skin obstructs your field vision in the upper outer area of your eyelids. If one can document a visual field deficit done with an opthamologist then the excision of the redundant skin can be covered by insurance or Medicare.

Blepharoplasty Medically Necessary

+1

While insurance companies and plans have a different set of requirements if there is a functional complaint and a supporting visual field test.

Medically necessary blepharoplasty requires documented blockage of the visual field

+1

Most insurers require that you have a formal visual field exam performed in an ophthamology office which demonstrates a 25 % blockage of the visual field for an upper

blepharoplasty

to be covered.

Typically, these reports need to be filed with the insurer before coverage is permitted. There are other more subtle complaints that may be covered but require confirmation by an ophthamologist.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/result-oriented-eyelid-rejuvenation-laser-blepharoplasty/