What is Axillary Hyperhidrosis?

My internet research of hyperhidrosis keeps turning up the term for "axillary hyperhidrosis"  What exactly is this?  I have excess sweating of the underarm area and was hoping to find a way to solve this problem

What is Axillary Hyperhidrosis?

+1

Axillary hyperhidrosis refers to excessive sweating in the underarms, this is a common problem and can be temporarily cured with Botox 

Medical speak for sweaty armpits...

+1

but precisely defining what's excessive is difficult...if a person sweats too much in the axilla (underarm) area and it interferes with the quality or enjoyment of life and if it's not due to a hot, humid environment or exercise and not resulting from other medical conditions like excessive thyroid hormone...then it probably is hyperhidrosis...a long lasting, persistent condition also not due to stress or emotions or "nerves"...seems to be a chemical imbalance or sensitivity over which an individual has no control other than some form of treatment of which botox is the best...and safest

Ken Landow, MD

Axillary Hyperhidrosis

+1

Axillary hyperhidrosis refers to a condition wherein there is excess sweat arising from the armpits. The condition can be caused by overactive sweat glands located in the axilla (armpit).

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Axillary Hyperhidrosis, aka Excessive Underam Sweating

+1

If topical over the counter products don't work for you, a physician can prescribe 'prescription grade' topicals like Hypercare. If that doesn't control the amount of excessive sweating, then your options are oral anticholinergics and thereafter Botox injections. If you are seeking more permanent solution, go for miraDry.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Axillary hyperhidrosis

+1

The word "axillary" essentially means "armpit" in medical-speak, so if you are researching ways to treat excessive sweating of your underarm or armpit area then "axillary hyperhidrosis" is a great search term to use.

If you are troubled by underarm sweating and the usual basic treatments (like deodorants and anti-perspirants) don't work then I'd recommend that you look into treatment with botulinum toxin.

Jill Tomlinson, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon