What is an Open Roof Deformity?

Hello all, what is a roof deformity? I think I may have this problem pretty severely. I've read that seemingly quite a few problems can cause this, such as improper bone re-setting, shaving too much cartialge, etc.

What does this deformity usually look like? How would it be corrected depending on the problem? And also, generally what is going on with the cartilage/bone when a open roof occurs? Does it get worse with time? Thank yall very much!!!

Correcting an Open Roof Deformity

+1

An open roof deformity is one that has a wide nasal dorsum and usually is due to not being closed after taking down a dorsal hump. This is usually done by doing osteotomies to close the open roof. It should only be done by those with experience and expertise in rhinoplasty.

The Open Roof Deformity can be fixed

+1

An "Open Roof Deformity" can occur after a rhinoplasty if the surgeon reduces the bone and cartilage along the bridge and inadequately repairs the defect. It can usually be repaired in one of several ways:

1) Re-breaking the bones.

2) Placement of new cartilage grafts (called Spreader Grafts).

3) Camouflage with other types of nasal grafts (Fascia and Diced Cartilage).

These are common strategies that I use in revision (aka secondary) rhinoplasty operations.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Open roof deformity

+1

An open roof is difficult to describe without a model. Thin of an A-frame house. Now imagine removing a longitudinal piece of the peak of the roof. This would leave and "open roof" between the two opposing sides of the roof. To close it you would have to collapse the two remaining portions of the roof together to cre-create the peak of the roof.

This is somewhat similar to the nose where the two nasal sidewalls remain after removing the hump. These bones must be pinched together to close an "open roof".

In patients who have very thick skin and a small hump with resulting small open roof, some surgeons leave it open and it remains stable. However, in thinner skinned individuals the gap and edges of the sidewalls can become visible over time as the skin swelling subsides. This may give the impression that it worsens over time.