What is Smart Lipo MPX?

a cosmetic physician near me sells a treatment she call Smartlipo MPX.  Cannot find good information about it.  What is it?

SmartLipo MPX doesn't require anesthesia, but you should NOT drive after surgery

+6

I am a board-certified plastic surgeon in Los Angeles, South Bay area, and I have performed Smartlipo of the neck and body -- initially with the Smartlipo 18 watt machine and then I upgraded to the Smartlipo MPX machine as soon as it was available.

I was one fo the first plastic surgeons in the country and West Coast to use the Smartlipo and Smartsense handpiece. I have demonstrated Smartlipo to my plastic surgery colleagues as I am a firm believer in the superiority of this innovative technique.

The MPX Smartlipo blends two different wavelengths of laser light to produce a more effective and efficient way of harvesting the fat, but most importantly, it has been shown in scientific studies and also in my own practice to cause skin tightening. This is a major breakthrough in liposuction.

Additionally, Smartlipo MPX is performed using a very fine and more flexible fiber-optic delivery system, so the treatment is done using small incisions, under local anesthesia for one or two limited areas in need of liposuction. This permits a less traumatic liposuction technique.

Additionally, the laser wavelength is blended with the MPX Smartlipo to allow for coagulation of blood vessels that are normally disturbed and can open during liposuction and other surgical procedures. The MPX liposuction allows for less leakage of blood and therefore, a cleaner, more fat enriched liposuction aspirate, less bruising and quicker recovery in my practice. When it is done in limited areas under local anesthesia, the patient is give an oral narcotic analgesic pill and a mild sedative pill.

The patients are comfortable to then proceed with the Smartlipo MPX under local anesthesia in which the lidocaine anesthetic is mixed in an iv bag of natural salt water solution. The patient is placed on blood pressure, heart and oxygen monitors for safety measures, since the major risk is limiting the amount of lidocaine used in the tumescent fluid used to wet the fatty tissue and provide anesthesia. This is why under local anesthesia, only one or two areas, can be safely treated at the same time, as the lidocaine dose must be kept under the toxic level for the patient's body weight and medical condition.

The patient is awake and we talk with them throughout the procedure, which in my patient experience, makes the patient feel very secure. The patient can be naturally positioned, since the patient can move and follow instructions, permitting more accurate contouring of the anatomical areas.

This is very different from the patient being asleep and immobile, and positioned in a less than natural way on the OR table. The contouring is done with smaller suction cannulas, and in my hands, I persist with the procedure until I get the result that I feel is acceptable and that I would want for family, my staff or even myself.

My best effort is given to the first effort, so that I minimize the possibility of any need for further secondary liposuction in that area, as the best shot is the 1st shot. I do not rush through the procedure and the Smartlipo MPX can take longer because not only am I doing the 1st pass of the laser to liquify the fat, but I have to go over each treated again a second time to get the skin tightening.

The skin tightening portions of Smartlipo MPX are very detailed and can be time consuming, but worth the while and effort. This is why the Smartlipo costs more than regular lipo, although under local anesthesia, the operating room charges are less and there is no anesthesia charge. My patients have been very satisfied with the procedure and their comfort and safety on the day of surgery and the ultimate outcomes.

Since the patient has received oral narcotics and sedative, they CANNOT and SHOULD NOT DRIVE AFTER SURGERY. The patient is escorted/driven home by other family members, a friend, or a caregiver. Remember that with Smartlipo MPX under local anesthesia, the patient is awake, ambulatory post-surgery, and is wearing a specially designed liposuction garment to contour and support the area.

There are no diet restrictions (other than to always eat healthy!) and the patient can go back to work in 1 day or 2 days, according to their condition after surgery and their preference.

The patient can exercise in 3 to 5 days, depending on the anatomical area that is treated, the amount of bruising and the type of exercise the patient prefers to pursue. The patients can see their results immediately and "as they are happening" since they are awake.

Actually, they can appreciate the results on the OR table, as after the evening of surgery, some swelling will set in, so the best time to see the result is when it is occurring or immediately post-surgery. This is so gratifying for the patient, my staff and me!

This has been such a refreshing and rewarding addition to my practice. Not only do the patients love to have this option of Smartlipo under local anesthesia, but, my operating room nurses and staff love to see the patients recover so quickly and feel good about themselves in hours, rather than days or weeks!

Very few board certified plastic surgeons perform Smart Lipo

+3

Hi!

With all respect to Dr. Petti, she is in a very small minority. There is no scientific evidence for the efficacy or advantage of Smart Lipo, and I think it is a marketing concept. I don't know any plastic surgeons in Manhattan who use it.

It achieves satisfactory results in some patients, but it is in no way better than the safe and time tested tumescent liposuction technique. Recovery is no easier or shorter with Smart Lipo.

With power assisted tumescent liposuction, which most experienced board certified plastic surgeons use, patients typically return to work in 4 or 5 days, exercise in 2 weeks, and look fine in a bathing suit in one month.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

SmartLipo MPX involves the use of a laser with three wavelengths manufactured by Cynosure Inc.

+1

SmartLipo MPX is laser liposuction performed using a three-wavelength laser from Cynosure to melt fat and tighten the skin.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Not Just for Liposuction!

+1

As with many technologies, there is always a debate about whether it is a legitimate tool to help you get a better result or simply a marketing tool garner attention....

I am a board certified plastic surgeon practicing in Los Gatos, CA since 1995. Since adding the SmartLipo MPX to the practice I have decided that it is indeed an important part of my surgical "toolbox". 

It basically consists of two laser wavelenths that can be used separately or combined (MPX mode) to achieve results ranging from fat dissolution to skin tightening in various areas of the body.

While it is good on its own for small localized deposits, it is too slow to be functional for large fatty areas. In many cases, I combine the ultrasonic system (VASER) or the water-assisted system (Body-Jet) with the SmartLipo to reduce large areas and tighten lax skin.

I also find that I use the SmartLipo (cautiously) in the neck to achieve additional tightening when doing mini facelifts (MACS lifts, Quick Lifts, etc.).

In summary, the SmartLipo MPX has very specific applications and is used selectively on patients that meet specific criteria. This enables me to provide the best result for a wide variety of patients. 

Best Regards,

KC

Kirk A. Churukian, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo MPX

+1

From my experience, patients that have had smartlipo experience little to no downtime, no recovery time, and little to no pain. Smartlipo MPX is a laser assisted liposuction. The laser fiber delivers energy directly to fat cells, causing them to rupture and drain away as liquid. Smartlipo MPX has been shown to increase collagen and reorganize collagen fibers to tighten and improve the quality of the skin.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo MPX - Better skin tightening, less downtime

+1

I am a board certified plastic surgeon in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I have been using lasers and doing conventional tumescent liposuction for over 20 years. I agree with the comments that the most important factor in obtaining optimal results with any plastic surgery procedure, including liposuction, are the qualifications, experience and expertise of your plastic surgeon. Board certification in plastic surgery is a good place to start.

That said, I have found SmartLipo MPX to be a wonderful addition to my plastic surgery practice. Dr. Petti has done a very nice job of describing the laser and outlining the benefits including: less brusing, use of local anesthesia, less swelling, smaller incision, and less downtime for the patient. There is more tightening of the skin with SmartLipo MPX, as evidenced by the clinical research ( Dr DiBernardo ) and by my own results. For the right patient, one who is basically in good shape, but has pockets of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise, Smartlipo MPX is a great option.

SmartLipo MPX is a particularly nice choice for areas that are difficult to treat with conventional liposuction and where additional skin tightening is desired, such as the chin, neck, arms, and inner thighs. My patients enjoy the option of minimally invasive procedures, and SmartLipoMPX has become an excellent choice in liposuction for the right patient.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

SmartLipo MPX

+1

SmartLipo MPX is the latest generation SmartLipo technology. It uses a laser which combines two different laser types to both help to liquefy the fat which is suctioned, as well as tighten the skin.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo vs Smart Patient

+1

There is no magic in the liposuction machine, no matter what initials you put next to it, MPX or DDX or whatever.  Liposuction or liposculpting is all an art and the thing that determines your result is the surgeon not the machine so dont be fooled by these marketing schemes.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD