Upper Blepharoplasty or Brow Lift for Heavy Eyelids?

I am 30 with heavy eyelids. There is no fat, just excess skin. I am wondering whether I am a candidate for an upper Blepharoplasty or a Brow Lift.

I feel like there is a lot of space between my brows and eyes and a brow lift might look strange. I've seen a few doctors and received a host of responses - some say my eyes would be easy to do, some thought it was hard, and one said to leave them alone because I might look bug-eyed? Thoughts?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Upper Blepharoplasty and/or Brow Lift for Heavy Eyelids

+1

You will receive many responses on this forum as well.

Determining between upper blepharoplasty and / or brow lift to rejuvenate the periorbital area can only be determined after a comprehensive examination in-person.

Based on the single photograph, I agree that one has to be cautious about removing skin with an upper blepharoplasty, especially given your young age. Your right eye does appear to be protruding, and removing skin makes it appear more protruding or bug-eyed.

You lack a well-defined upper eyelid crease, which is typically seen in Asian eyelids. A blepharoplasty where the crease is recreated, without removing skin, may be more appropriate rather than traditional upper eyelid surgery.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine the best option for you. Best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper bleph vs browlift - I'd vote for neither

+3

At 30, you are young for either procedure, plus your unique anatomy which sets you up to have eyelid closure problems if either procedure is overdone even to the slightest degree. You certainly don't need a browlift and quite honestly, the upper lid bleph would need to be so conservative that you would hardly look any different. My vote would be to do nothing for now and save your money and avoid the risk for very little potential gain.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsugery.com

Upper Blepharoplasty, Not Brow Lift Is best For You

+2

The high point of your eyebrow-the junction of the outer 1/3 with the inner 2/3 should be 1 centimeter above the bone of the eye socket. From your photo I believe your brow position is normal. A Brow Lift would make the Brow too high and might create the "Deer in Headlights" appearance.

Although you are young, you do have excess upper Eyelid skin which is encroaching on the eye lashes-a condition called Dermatochalasis. I see no reason to wait until you are older to have an Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/result-oriented-eyelid-rejuvenation-laser-blepharoplasty/

Blepharoplasty or Brow Lift

+2

Although photographs alone can be deceiving, it appears that in this particular photo your brow is nicely positioned and conservative resection of upper lid skin will likely give you a very pleasing result with minimal discomfort or downtime. I would agree that you do not want your brows positioned any further apart than they currently are.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

High brows look old, don't do it!

+1

just a tiny little skin trim will give you a cleaner upper lid, hard to say from photos but sometimes actually filling
(with restylane) corrects subtle deflation that may be the actual problem.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty, Eyelid Surgery, Beverly Hills Blepharoplasty, Beverly Hills Brow Lift

+1

Fullness of the upper eyelids come from two places.

• One is the position of the eyebrows. If the eyebrows are low, in position, this adds fullness to the upper eyelids.
• The other factor is true excess upper eyelid fat and skin which honestly, is a bit rare at 31 years old. Now

In women, the proper aesthetic shape of the eyebrows and eyes must be determined in person by the plastic and cosmetic surgeon in order to determine which of the abovementioned two factors is causing the upper eyelid fullness in your particular case. I mention this in my new book on the aesthetics of beauty , "What's Your Number..the palmer code." the link to which is included at the bottom of this answer.

The surgeon must, IMO, place your eyebrows in the proper aesthetic position and then with you opening and closing your eyes, assess the amount of upper eyelid fullness remaining. There are three possible outcomes all quite revealing:

• when the eyebrows are elevated to the proper position, all the upper eyelid fullness is gone. This means the fullness is due to low eyebrows and the solution is a Brow Lift, not an upper Blepharoplasty which if performed, in this scenario, would actually cause your eyebrows to become lower after the procedure. More on this later.

• when the eyebrows are elevated, some of the upper eyelid fullness remains. This indicates that a Browlift would remove some, but not all of the fullness, the remainer of which could be removed with an upper Blepharoplasty as a combined procedure.

• the eyebrow is already in the proper position and all of the fullness remains, indicating that an upper Blepharoplasty alone would remove this excess. This is the only scenario, of the three possible, where an upper Blepharoplasty alone is indicated.

Until this simple, but crucial maneuver is performed on you in person...I don't see how an accurate answer can be provided. If an upper Blepharoplasty is done when the correct procedure should have been a Brow Lift, to raise the eyebrows, the Blepharoplasty can cause the position of the eyebrows to go even lower after the procedure.   Once this happens, the Brow Lift often can't be performed because there's simply not enough skin on the upper eyelid to allow the eyes to close properly after the eyebrows have been elevated. This can result in corneal exposure and complications.

Web reference: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Whats-Your-Number-The-Palmer-Code/53723954087

Blepharoplasty or brow lift for heavy eyelids

+1

According to the pictures, there is no need to do a browlift. The distance between eyelashes to the brows is acceptable. The upper eyelids are full, and there is some orbital fat in both the middle and medial compartments of the upper lid, which can be slightly teased out and removed. There is a small amount of excess skin on the upper lids that can be also removed. A conservative blepharoplasty would be the best so as not to make the eyelids look bug-eyed.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

No brow lift when brows in good position.

+1

Hi.

1)  You do not need a brow lift, because your brows are where they should be.  A brow lift will give you a startled look.

2)  You look like a good candidate for a simple upper blepharoplasty.

Upper Blepharoplasty Less Invasive Than Browlift

+1

You have extra skin in in your upper eyelids. The brow is not that low. Given mild proptosis (bulging of the eyeballs) you should get checked by an internist for any possible thyroid problems and also see an ophthalmologist. Once you ar cleared by them you should have a very good result from upper eyelid Blepharoplasty

Regards

Web reference: http://www.janjuafacialsurgery.com

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty vs Brow Lift

+1

As others have mentioned, you do have a prominent eye with some lid retraction. Your brows appear to be in pretty good position and you will likely be a candidate for conservative excision of upper eyelid skin, blepharoplasty.

I believe this would give the result you are looking for without the surprised look!

Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-eyelid-surgery-newport-beach.php

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.