Is It Unrealistic to Expect Surgeon to Correct Deviated Nose?

I am choosing a surgeon to fix my deviated nose. I have strong cartilage and very thin skin, that does not hide any deformity. I actually like my nose, but its deviation make me crazy.

Unfortunately, I know some people, who had no results at all with this procedure.Is it really possible to fix my deviated nose? Are surgeons sincere when a patient has unrealistic expectations and/or when an operation is not worth? Thanks in advance.

Rhinoplasty, Straightening a Slight External Nasal Deviation in a Beautiful Woman with Thin Skin

+3

Hi,

Your slight externally deviated nose toward your right side can be straightened, your expectations are not unrealistic.

Thin skin does present more difficulty than slightly thicker skin as it does not hide any irregularities. There are many techniques that are available to an experienced and skilled rhinoplasty surgeon to give you a straight nose.

Your surgeon should be truthful and sincere after examining you, and should be able to tell you what can be accomplished, and compare the risks versus the benefits so that you can make an informed decision about your nose. I will certainly tell a patient when I believe that surgery will not be helpful. We should all be physicians first, and follow the the Hippocratic Oath, "...physician do no harm".

Choose your rhinoplasty surgeon carefully after consulting with a few.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

It is possible to fix deviated nose

+2

It is difficult to tell on your picture whether your head is turned slightly or it is all your deviation. Nasal deviation is indeed difficult to correct, but certainly not impossible. I would certainly go and discuss your expectations with several surgeons in consultation. Look at their before and after photos, especially the photos of deviated noses. It will be well worth your time and money to find a good surgeon whose results you like.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Unrealistic Expectations With a Deviated Nose

+2

You can expect to straighten a deviated nose, but this is one of the most challenging operations for a rhinoplasty surgeon. The result may not be perfect. Strong cartilage is good; thin skin is unforgiving. A surgeon can compensate for thin skin by placing a very thin layer of tissue under the skin wherever there is a possibility of irregularity.

Deviated Nose Rhinoplasty and Realistic Expectations

+2

It is not unrealistic to expect a surgeon to straighten a deviated nose. Twisted or crooked noses have many underlying causes, include cartilage, bone, and skin. Most deviated noses are due to a deviated septum, which contributes to breathing issues or nasal obstruction.

Depending on the exact cause of a deviated nose, most rhinoplasty is relatively successful. However, surgery is not 100% guarantee of perfect results. Patients may require touch-up or revision nasal surgery, especially those with prior history of nasal surgery or trauma.

Based on the photograph alone, it's difficult for me to appreciate a deviated nose. Only after a comprehensive evaluation of both the internal and external nose, can a rhinoplasty surgeon provide the best option for you. Generally, most plastic surgeons will give you their honest evaluation. If you feel otherwise, then find another plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deviated nose can be fixed slight

+2

You have very slight deviation and I would not recommend surgery for this. The shape of the nose is part of the face shape and any difference between left and right side will show itself in the midline which is nose. You have minimal difference between left and right eye. This is very common and when I look at your face as whole,I do not recommend any surgery. No body has 100% symmetrical face and that is the beauty of the human face.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Deviated Nose Correction

+1

The management of a deviated nose is corrected by correcting the septum. It requires that the rhinoplasty surgeon has the experience and expertise in both internal and external nasal airway reconstruction for correction of both the functional and aesthetic aspects of the nose.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Deviated Nose - What is Realistic Result?

+1

It is the 'job' of your surgeon to weigh your concerns with what he finds on exam. It may ultimately be impossible to craft a perfectly straight nose. However, if you have a significant underlying cause for a deviation, even a relatively modest one - it may be possible to correct or improve the situation. No reputable surgeon would guarantee a result but would rather explaing what could possibly be done and what the chances are of at least a partial correction. There are many trick available to correct deviated noses depending upon the problem - nasal bone asymmetry, deviated nasal septum, etc. Recommendation would be to have at least two consults with surgeons that have good experience in Rhinoplasty. You should walk away with a good idea of whether you have unrealistic expectations or there really is something that can help you. Best of Luck - Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Deviated nose can be corrected

+1

If the nose is significantly deviated, yes, it can be brought back into the anatomical midline with multiple different surgical techniques such as osteotomies, spreader grafts, and structural cartilage grafting. There are many different techniques to straighten the nose. If the nose is deviated, it can be straightened. It is very important to have realistic expectations prior to embarking on elective cosmetic surgery such as rhinoplasty. A reputable surgeon will tell you if you are a good candidate or not before the procedure.

Rhinoplaty Can Correct A Crooked Nose

+1

Rhinoplasty can correct a deviated or crooked nose even if no other change in shape is desired. There are several reasons why a patient's nose can look crooked. If the septum (cartilage dividing the nose into a left and right half) is deviated (crooked) then that can cause the outside to look crooked. Sometimes the nasal bones themselves are not in alignmentl. Another reason that a tip can appear crooked is that the paired tip cartilages are asymmetric.

Regardless of the cause, rhinoplasty -- when performed correctly -- can dramatically improve the appearance of the nose. Because rhinoplasty is considered the most difficult procedure in cosmetic surgery, any patient - regardless of their nasal problem or nasal characteristics - should seek the advice of a surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Straightening a nose

+1

It is impossible to make the nose perfectly straight.  If someone has a deviated septum or bony deviation, I use a phrase that a very famous surgeon told me. I use the -ER phrase.  I can usually can make it bett-ER, cutER, and soft-ER, and straight-ER.  But I can not make it perfect.