Under Chin Vs Behind the Ears Incision for Chin Liposuction?

Why do some doctors only cut a single incision under the chin and others cut two incisions by each ear? I presume more fat can be reached with 2 incisions but does the single incision limit the doctor that much more?

In the Majority of Cases, a Midline Incision is Used

+1

The surgical approach to liposuction of the neck varies from patient to patient and depends on the location of the fat. In the majority of cases, a midline chin incision is utilized. This provides access to the central neck where most of the fat is usually located. In more severe cases where the fat extends more posteriorly towards the angle of the jaw, bilateral incisions can be made inferior to the ear lobule. This approach provides excellent access to the lateral neck region.

All of these incisions are well hidden and heal nicely. They provide excellent access to the neck and yield excellent aesthetic results. It’s important to understand that the results of neck liposuction are excellent and patients report high satisfaction rates, irregardless of the incision location. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Incisions for Chin Liposuction

+1

Here is the reason why some doctors only make a single incision under the chin and others use  two additional incisions by each ear ( I make mine in the ear lobe crease). It  depends on the fat distribution and to some extent the skill of the surgeon. For a small amount of fat just below the chin a single incision is adequate. However for a full neck fat that extends significantly beyond the center the best results are usually obtained with having access behind the ears.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Incisions for Chin Liposuction?

+1

Incisions used for chin liposuction are generally placed below the chin and/or below the ear lobes. Using more than one incision allows for a “cross feathering” technique improving chances of achieving smooth contour. These incisions should be kept as small as possible (1-2 mm).  I prefer to close all incision lines because I think this “closed technique” allows for better scars.

Chin liposuction incisions

+1

Liposuction incisions can vary depending on your anatomy and the surgeon's preference.  I prefer using more incisions if I think that I can better address the contour and fat.  This is because it is often easier to reach the fatty tissue from a more remote area and attack it from different directions than placing an incision right in the middle of the area to be treated.  The incisions are small and heal up so well that it is worth the tradeoff for better contour and more complete fat removal.

Michelle Spring, MD

Chin Liposuction Incision behind ears is used when the sides of the neck and jaw have fat or loose skin

+1

If you only have a double chin or fat in the middle of your neck below the chin, then liposuction can be done through a tiny stab wound in the crease directly beneath your chin.

In patients who have excess fat along the sides of the neck under the jaw, then a small stab wound is made beneath the ear lobule so that the laser or cannula can reach the lateral or side portions of the neck.

In addition, for some patients who have jowls or laxity of skin and fat under the jaw bone along the sides of the neck, Laser Assisted Liposuction is done through the incision under the ear lobule to melt the fat and tighten skin to help improve the jaw line. This is sometimes referred to as the Laser Neck Lift

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Approach from several angles

+1

It is matter of the doctor's training an experience of his/her results.  It is not uncommon to use both incisions so that the extra fat can be removed more evenly.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Incisions for Liposuction of Chin

+1

First, you are a good candidate for this procedure, (good skin and a recognizable deposit of fat). When we do Liposuction, we typically place more than one incision for the area.  This allows us to "cross cut" the area, resulting in a smoother contour.  For the area under the chin, the incisions are usually a little behind the crease under the chin, and behind each ear.  Again, it is important to talk to your plastic surgeon so he can evaluate you and tailor the treatment to you.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Types of incisions for Chin liposuction

+1

As you have noticed, there are several different types of incisions for Chin liposuction. In our practice, we generally start with a single incision directly behind the crease under your chin. This typically allows us access to the entire Chin region. However, if there are areas of fat that we are not able to access with this single incision, we will then make an additional incision behind one or both ears. All incisions are placed in inconspicuous areas and within lines that already exist in your skin.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Chin liposuction scars are not visible.

+1

Hi!

The incisions for liposuction of the chin and neck are the size of a pencil POINT.  So don't worry about them.

We use a tiny incision under the chin, and a tiny incision behind each ear.   When I approach the neck and chin from several directions, you get a smoother contour.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Incisions for Chin Liposuction

+1

The best way to perform this is with 3 incisions, at the ears and submental. This allows you to get to the jowls also. If you are limited to the chin only, the chin incision alone is good enough. Hope this helps answer your question.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD