Will Ultrasonic Liposuction Work on Thighs?

Is it possible for external ultrasonic liposuction to work on large areas such as thighs? It seems too good to be true! I am UK based and have a BMI of 21, but all of my excess weight is on my thighs in the form of cellulite. Exercise and dieting seem to have no effect.

External Ultrasonic Liposuction

+1

External-assisted liposuction involves the administration of ultrasonic energy externally, usually after the tumescent local anesthesia is administered. The ultrasonic energy helps liquify the fat prior to the liposuction which drains away the fat cells and fluid. It had been used more than a decade ago, but was not found to significantly improve the effect of liposuction, although it did make it more comfortable for the surgeon to work on some areas that had harder fat tissue, such as secondary procedures, male love handles, etc. More physicians are trying laser-assisted liposuction these days.

External ultrasonic energy, different from that used as described above, is being used currently, although not in the U.S., as UltraShape. No liposuction is needed. There are convincing photographs of results after a series of treatments. The FDA is still studying this device and its safety. As long as the device has a mechanism to sit flush on the convex contour of the outer thigh, I don't see why it wouldn't work on this area. Stay tuned for this exciting development.

External ultrasound effective?

+1

External ultrasonic liposuction works to mold and change the configuration of the fat cells and is usually used best prior to liposuction so that they are easier to suction out. Cellulite is not really fat, it is fibrous bands that connect skin to underlying muscle. It becomes more pronounced the more inelastic skin becomes. External ultrasonic liposuction is designed to improve the skin tone, but is typically not used as a stand-alone treatment. It is best when used in conjunction with liposuction, especially when dealing with larger areas of fat and cellulite. Liposuction can break up some of the fibrous bands, causing the tissue to heal in a different, and less lumpy, configuration. "Fat grafting" may be another solution, which is suctioning out fat from one area and plumping up another to smooth out the skin's surface.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

External ultrasonic liposuction

+1

External ultrasonic liposuction may help improve the appearance of your thighs.  These devices like Ultrashape are not available in the US yet, but it seems promising.  It probably will not help cellulite.