Which Type of Surgeon to Go to for Blepharoplasty?

How do you choose a doctor for Blepharoplasty surgery? I have a wonderful plastic surgeon that did my Rhinoplasty who has suggested I have the procedure done. He did a wonderful job in fixing my broken nose. In reading some reviews, a few patients have said to only use an oculoplastic surgeon. What is your opinion?

Choosing your surgeon for eye surgery

+2

Board certification assures training and qualification, it is not necessarily the rubber stamp for skill and judgment. We all have seen public personas that make us cringe at the aesthetic results. The rhinoplaty procedure is considered one of the least forgiving facial plastic surgeries. If you obtained a good result from your rhinoplasty from a qualified surgeon you like that is your best choice to obtain a good result from your blepharoplasty.

Rememeber that the certificate on the wall is not the same as the talent in the hand and the judgment in the head. If you were seeking a portrait artist you certainly would cosnider his or her training but more importantly the visual results of his or her handiwork.

Greeley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Selecting a surgeon for blepharoplasty

+1

An oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, and plastic surgeons are all usually very well versed in traditional blepharoplasty surgery. An oculoplastic surgeon really performs more complicated eyelid surgeries such as reconstruction from skin cancer tumors. As long as you have had a nice result from your broken nose you should continue to use your plastic surgeon.

The Right Blepharoplasty Surgeon

+1

You should go to a board certified surgeon who performs frequent eyelid surgery and who has a good reputation. Not all surgeons have the same skill level. It sounds like you have a good plastic surgeon who performed your rhinoplasty. Ask him/her of he/she performs many eyelid procedures, ask for before and after photos and also ask if he/she has any/many complications. You may also want to ask for some patient references who can tell you if they were pleased with their eyelid surgery.

Your current plastic surgeon is a good starting point, but ask the above questions.

James H. Schmidt, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Good Blepharoplasty Surgeon

+1

It is a question that has been asked by many. The answer is very simple. It does not matter what the title of a surgeon is or the specialty. If the surgeon is well trained in the procedure of Blepharoplasty, then you are in good hands. 

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a Blepharoplasty Surgeon for Eyelid Plastic Surgery

+1

Board-certified surgeons in plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery, and ophthalmology perform eyelid surgery. Great results may be found with any of these physicians.

The relationship between the physician and the patient is one of the most important factors in cosmetic surgery, if not the most important factor. Regardless of a surgeon's credentials or past results, the patient must feel comfortable with the plastic surgeon, who must also feel comfortable with the patient.

Plastic surgery is more about managing patient expectations rather than obtaining exact results. The happiest patients are not always the ones with the "best" results. You should feel comfortable with your plastic surgeon. You've already found a great plastic surgeon. Speak with him about cosmetic eyelid surgery. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

What type of surgeon should I see for Blepharoplasty?

+1

In short, a board certified surgeon. That having been said, plastic surgeons and ophthalmologists both receive excellent training in treatment of the aging eyelid. If you already have a relationship with a plastic surgeon who did your rhinoplasty, you may be good to go. Besides checking for board certification with the American Board of Plastic Surgery, you may ask the surgeon if you could speak with one of his patients who has already had blepharoplasty. Often the best way to find out what the procedure is really like from the patient standpoint is speak with one. We encourage our prospective patients to speak with our past ones. We find that as prospective patients become surgical patients, they volunteer to speak with new patients for us. Good luck in your choice.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Doctor for Blepharoplasty

+1

It seems like you already know who to use, the doctor who did your rhinoplasty who did such a good job. That is not to say the other doctors who do blepharoplasty like facial plastic surgeons and opthalmic plastic surgeons do bad jobs but you found a kind compassionate caring doctor with good qualifications. Why Switch?

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery doctors

+1

Plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons (ENT), and ophthalmologists can all perform eyelid surgery.  There are good doctors in each group but it sounds like you have already found the right one!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Blepharoplasty surgeon

+1

You want a well trained, compassionate board certified Plastic surgeon.

By your description you "have a wonderful plastic surgeon that did my Rhinoplasty ... He did a wonderful job in fixing my broken nose".

Sounds to me like you ALREADY have your surgeon.