Tummy Tuck After Weight Loss but Before Child Bearing?

I am 26, I had gastric bypass surgery and am now at my goal weight and would like to get a Tummy Tuck.

My question is, I haven't had any kids yet, but plan to in the future, would getting a Tummy Tuck before kids kind of be redundant? Since pregnancy can cause more skin down the road, stretch marks, etc? Thanks for your time.

Tummy Tuck Optimal After Done Having Chldren

+3

Thank you for your question. While we plastic surgeons do love to operate most of us agree that it is optimal for you as a patient to have finished having children before you have a tummy tuck.

Pregnancy causes the skin to stretch and can cause stretch marks and could diminish some of the benefits that you will achieve from having a tummy tuck before pregnancy.

I certainly understand that after gastric bypass and weight loss that you would enjoy removing the pannus or excess skin that is hanging on your tummy. If you are not certain when you plan to have children and it is several years away then I would understand if you want to go ahead and remove the excess skin from your abdomen. However if you plan on having children in the next 2-3 years I would recommend that you finish having children before proceeding with your tummy Tuck.

Be certain to consult at least 2 plastic surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, are experienced in tummy Tuck surgery and have an excellent reputation in your community.

Tummy tuck in weight loss patient anticipating pregnancy

+3

My esteemed colleagues have poiinted out that TT prior to pregnancy may need to aspects of it redone after pregnancy. They are entirely correct.

However, it is a lot to request that women run around with a pannus (hanging skin) until they are all done with having children. Most patients won't tolerate that degree of disfigurement for a long period of time.

There is a compromise: remove the extra skin (panniculectomy) but don't do a tightening of the deep layer (fascia) or relocate the belly button (umbilicus) until after pregnancy.

That way patients can look reasonable after their massive weight loss but still have an uncomplicated childbirth, but plan on getting everything, including the fascia "tightened up" after childbirth is done.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Pre-pregnancy tummy tuck

+2

Yes, there is a probability that future pregnancies will diminish the long-term effects of a tummy tuck. This is basically a life-choice issue. How important is it to have a certain contour now after gastric bypass and how long does it have to benefit you for it to make sense? If you are going to get pregnant within a year, it may not make sense. If pregnancy is mere wishful-thinking now, it might make a lot of sense.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Pregnancy after tummy tuck?

+1
Thank you for your post. You certainly can have a baby after tummy tuck. In a tummy tuck, we are putting your body back together similiar to what you were like before you were pregnant. Your muscle tension, your skin and your fat contours are adjusted. Once you are fully healed from your surgery, your body is just as able to accept a pregnancy as it was before your first pregnancy. However, if your belly area stretched after your first pregnancy, then you are likely to stretch again after your next pregnancy. Most surgeons recommend to have a tummy tuck after you are finished having childern, however, in certain instances, such as starting to date again, or just not being happy with your post pregnancy body, then it makes sense to go ahead and have a tummy tuck. Just realize that you may need a revision later on.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after Weight Loss - Pregnacy Issues

+1

A Tummy Tuck is Best After Kids

Stretch marks and redundant skin usually occur after pregnancy.  Of Course it makes the most sense to wait until your last pregnacy is finished so you do not have to redo the procedure due to stretched skin and lax muscles. On the other hand  many women that do not plan on having kids for several more years will still choose to have a TummyTuck. It is a very personal choice.A second tummy tuck can be done after the pregnancy

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Should I have a tummy tuck prior to having kids?

+1

Thanks so much for your question.  In general you should wait to have children prior to having a tummy tuck.  However, your situation is unique that you have lost a significant amount of weight from your bypass procedure so I think this changes the situation.  As long as you understand that you may need revisional surgery if you do have children, I think it is reasonable to reward yourself with a tummy tuck at this point in time.  I hope that helps.  Congrats on the weight loss.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and possible future pregnancy

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.  Our office will usually advise, if you are thinking about getting pregnant in the next few months, then maybe hold off.  If pregnancy is down the line, then it may be within reason to proceed.  This is an individual decision.  Your body will stretch to accommodate the pregnancy.  How the skin and soft tissue snaps back is variable.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Tummy tuck after weight loss should not deter pregnancy

+1

There are several reasons that patients seek tummy tuck, and weight loss after gastric bypass, and skin laxity after pregnancy are two leading causes. The root cause of the skin skin laxity however may not be the same in each instance. Most women after pregnancy will not need tummy tuck, especially if they maintain a fit pregnancy. Some patients because of their unique skin type will lose elasticity, develop excessive stretch marks and lose abdominal tone making tummy tuck a very desirable procedure.

Patients who have suffered from obesity and were fortunate to have sustained weight loss through diet and exercise, or through gastric bypass have developed skin excess by a different mechanism. The skin has grown as the body fat has expanded and responded to growth factors during the period of obesity. The skin envelop is not merely stretched with obesity, it has become too large and body contouring procedures such as tummy tuck are desirable to enhance quality of life and life style. For some, these procedures may be the means to maintained health and fitness, allow a full life, and permit a focus on friends, family, and pregnancy.

After weight loss, a tummy tuck before will not interfere with pregnancy, and will not necessarily 'ruin' the result that you have invested in. You may develop some laxity as some women do, but perhaps not. If tummy tuck now will enhance your life, intimacy and acceptance, and improve the chances of a family in the future, it may be an important part of your recovery plan after gastric bypass.

peterejohnsonmd

Tummy tuck after weight loss, before pregnancy

+1

Tough question.

Due to your FORMER obesity you have separation of the rectus (six pack) muscles and excessive damaged hanging skin. The options are :Panniculectomy, formal abdominoplasty or a lower body lift.

If you are NOT going to start your family any time soon and are aware that a pregnancy may largely destroy the results of a tummy tuck or lower body lift -- then go ahead and have it done to enjoy the fruits of your labor. But you must plan on at least another if not more trips back to the OR to correct matters after you are done having children.

If you want to me more conservative and save some money just have a panniculectomy. It MAY or may not be covered by insurance and involves ONLY removal of the skin overhang. The overhang will be gone. You will not be as flat as with a tummy tuck BUT your future tummy tuck will be a lot easier.

I hope this was helpful.

Tummy tuck before pregnancy or after

+1

This is a common situation in plastic surgery. Should I do this procedure now or wait until I...

This is a matter of personal desires and philosophy. You can do the surgery now and benefit from the years of looking better and feeling better about yourself and run the risk that you may have to repeat some or all of the tummy tuck or you can wait until after you have had all your pregnacies and do the tummy tuck and have long term improvement (as long as there are no pregnancies or weight gain.

The decision is yours

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon