Tummy Tuck After Umbilical Hernia Repair?

I had a small umbilical hernia repaired two years ago without mesh. Can I still get a Tummy Tuck?

Tummy Tuck after umbilical hernia repair can be done

+1

Absolutely!

Remember - the vast majority of Plastic surgeons (members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, ASPS, www.PlasticSurgery.org) have trained in and certified in BOTH Surgery and in Plastic Surgery. As such, we are SUPER-surgeons with complete training in two surgical specialties. As general surgeons we were taught to repair hernias, do mastectomies, bowel resections, neck surgery, vascular and handle serious chest and abdominal injuries. Fixing a hernia, IF it is still there would be a simple endeavor for most of us.

There is No reason why you should not have and benefit from an abdominoplasty UNLESS you have medical issues that you have not disclosed here. Your board certified plastic surgeon would be able to handle and address anything he/she encounters.

Good Luck.

Umbilical hernia repairs and tummy tucks

+1

I commonly reapir umbilical hernias at the same ime as a tummy tuck and there would be no problem having a tummy tuck after a hernia as already repaired. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck after Umbilical Herniorraphy

+1

If you are otherwise a good candidate for a tummy tuck, there is no reason that your previous umbilical hernia repair should interfere.  Few, if any, plastic surgeons would view this as a contraindication to tummy tuck surgery.

John Whitt, MD

Tumy tucks can be done after umbilical hernia repairs

+1

We see many patients who have had umbilical hernia repairs and then want to have a tummy tuck. It should not be a problem for your plastic surgeon. Make sure to let your plastic surgeon know if any type of mesh was used during the repair of your umbilical hernia.  Best of luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon