Can Tummy Tuck Scar Be Lowered to the Pubic Area?

I had a full tummy tuck five years ago. I would like my scar to be lowered well into my pubic area (at least two inches lower) I have extra skin now from two pregnancies after the surgery. Would this be possible? Will the belly button be re-done? Would it be considered a scar revision or a tummy tuck redo? Thank you!

Lowering tummy scar

+3

As your photo presents, and two pregnancies later, it appears that the scar could be lowered. The magnitude of the surgery maybe very similar to the first. The abdominal skin flap would be raised and probably muscle tightening. If your children are still in diapers and require lifting you may need to post phone yet.

Tummy tuck revision

+3

From your photo the one obvious area for improvement is the mismatch of amount of fatty tissue above vs below your scar. This can happen with weight gain and pregnancies that you had. Are you able to lose some weight before having further surgery? The possibility of lowering your scar depends on the looseness of you skin and how much excess skin you have now. That is something to be determined by your surgeon at the time of your consultation. You can have your umbilicus opening revised also. The best recommendation is to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and state your goals and see what is realistic. With any surgery and specially with revisions improvement and not perfection should be the goal.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Abdominoplasty revision

+2

You look to be a great candidate for a revision. Would likely need a full abdominoplasty and liposuction of the hips to get the best result. I would also expect a vertical component to the scar. Plan to go on several consults if you do not get consistent answers. Good luck!

Dean Fardo, MD

Tummy tuck scar be lowered to the pubic area

+2

Yes, your scar does appear a bit high and the umbilicus is slit-like. Both can be revised. Were you to lean forward and relax your stomach (diving off the side of a pool position) would also demonstrate how much looseness there is in your tummy muscles and how much stomach muscle tightening (rectus muscle plication) may be indicated.

Since your main objective is lowering the scar NOT making the present scar better and to do this part or all of your tummy would have to worked on, this qualified as a REVISION abdominoplasty.

Anchoring sutures

+1
Thank you for your post. It is not common for surgeons to anchor the lower incision to the fascia or covering of the abdominal muscles to keep the scar low, however, I do use this technique and agree with it. All the tension on the incision is from above, not below, and thus the scar tends to move toward the area of maximal tension (towards the ribs/bellybutton). This moves the scar higher than desired. I like to keep my scars very low, and feel that anchoring the scar helps accomplish this. The following photo is an example of this.

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Incision Placement for Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

It’s not unusual for significant abdominal changes to occur following multiple pregnancies and the aging process.  After five years and two pregnancies loose abdominal skin and weakened muscles can be anticipated.  Under these circumstances revisional abdominoplasty is not only possible, but probably necessary as well.

Although it’s virtually impossible to know what option is best for you without performing a physical exam, your pictures strongly suggest that you would benefit from surgical intervention.  It appears that you have developed recurrent excess lower abdominal skin and localized fat accumulation in the upper abdomen.

In this situation, a mini abdominoplasty could lower your incision without detaching your belly button.  In addition, supplemental liposuction of the upper abdomen could improve the contour of this area as well.

It’s important that you consult a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience performing this type of surgery.  This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that’s appropriate for your problem.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

With enough skin laxity, the scar can be lowered.

+1
A tummy tuck revision can be very challenging, because moving the scar lower requires a certain amount of skin laxity, and this is harder to achieve after already having one surgery. Your pregnancies after surgery have helped stretch the skin and muscles somewhat. Although it is hard to tell without a full exam, your photos do seem to indicate that you have sufficient excess skin at this time to relocate your scar downward more so it is hidden closer your bikini line. I strongly recommend a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in tummy tuck revisions for the best results. Finally, it’s important to keep your expectations realistic. Some improvement is likely possible, but your scar may not be able to be revised quite as low as you hope for.

Frank Campanile, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck revision.

+1

Thanks for your question.  Looking at your photos I believe it would be fairly simple to revise your tummy tuck and move the scar into a much lower position.  You might be able to do the surgery without substantially changing the position of your current belly button.  It may be necessary to move the belly button opening lower.  I wouldn't be able to say for certain without examine you.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

+1

It appears that you have the laxity to allow for the scar to be repositioned.  You may want to ensure that you at your optimal weight before having the surgery for best results.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty Revision

+1

It would appear from your photos and the fact that 5 years have passed that you have redundant skin and fat. I do think it would be reasonable to revise your abdominoplasty and do think it likely that the scar could be lowered to your pubic area which is where it should have been placed to start with. Although I would have to examine you to be sure, it might be possible to revise just the lower abdomen which appears to have most of the lax skin. The umbilicus could be made smaller at the same time if you wish. I would also advise liposuction at the same time.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS