Tummy Tuck Redo to Fix Bulge and Belly Button?

I  had an umbilicus hernia repair with mesh along with diastasis recti repair. I feel that my stomach bulges in the area of the umbilicus, because perhaps the plastic surgeon didn't know how to suture the diastasis recti while strengthening stomach muscles in the area of the umbilicus hernia repair?

Additionally, my abs are very asymmetrical and lumpy. Do you still think that a revision tummy tuck or "component separation" surgery would be helpful here? Could it help make my abdomen look more normal? Do you think my belly button can ever be repaired? Thanks again for all your help.

Revision Tummy Tuck

+3

You really need to see a plastic surgeon to evaluate things.  It is very difficult to tell just by the photo what is exactly going on.  You may need some tests like a CT scan to look at thinks more close.

Good luck.

Repair of an abdominal hernia

+2

It looks like you may have a recurrent abdominal hernia. I would recommend obtaining a CT scan of your abdomen to determine whether or not you have a hernia and if so how large it is. Hernias may recur after initial repair, and if so they may require a stronger revision. This may include component separation as you had indicated. The repair may need to be bolstered with a dermal allograft as well. This should help the contour of your abdomen and the appearance of your umbilicus. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Redo tummy tuck

+2

Just by your picture and your story it is impossible to give a good answer. Cannot tell what components are causing the apparent bulge that the picture seems to show. Your best bet is to see your plastic surgeon or another one to have the whole siteation evaluated in person.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Re-repairing a tummy tuck

+2

It is possible that you could entirely redo the operation and inprove the result. The reason yours went wrong is either that you went to the wrong surgeon or that your body either has too much pressure within the abdominal cavity (ie you need to lose weight) or the tissues are particularly thin and can't stay tightened, or that you have a chronic cough, or that you didn't give your abdominal muscles a full 8 weeks to gain their healed strenght before stressing them. The answer lies in that list. Some of it you can control, some you can't.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Revisional Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

Persistent abdominal bulges following abdminoplasty can occur for a variety of reasons.  When this situation arises a careful analysis of the problem is necessary before proceeding with revisional surgery.  Possible explanations include inadequate resection of excess skin, inadequate tightening of the muscles, persistent laxity of the muscles, intra-abdominal fat, residual subcutaneous fat and separation of the muscle repair.

Depending on the cause of the post-surgical abdominal bulge, revisional abdominoplasty may be indicated.  Under these circumstances the muscles can be tightened and excess skin removed.  In some cases weight loss may be more appropriate, while in other cases ancillary procedures such as liposuction may be indicated.

It’s virtually impossible to know what option is best for you without performing a physical examination.

Your pictures suggest tight abdominal skin in the presence of a significant abdominal bulge.  This might be secondary to an abnormality of the abdominal wall or increased intra-abdominal contents.  This can be evaluated by CT scan.

It’s important to get an opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon before proceeding with intervention.  Revisional surgery shouldn’t be undertaken for at least six months following the original procedure. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Recurrent anterior abdominal wall laxity

+1

You did not mention how long ago your surgery was performed.  It does appear that you have a sizable abdominal bulge and more than just a small peri-umbilical hernia. If your abdominal fascia was extremely lax and of poor quality it is likely that you have a recurrence.  You need to be examined by a plastic surgeon to determine what needs to be repaired to flatten your abdomen.  

Revision

+1

A consulation with a board certified, reputable plastic surgeon is in order. Upon examination, the surgeon will be able to discuss your results and the next steps.

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

On Revision Of Tummy Tuck...

+1

Hi there-

Based on your complicated history and the photo you posted, I think it  is very important that you see a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery for an evaluation.

It is possible that a revision of your tummy tuck would be helpful, but evaluation of your hernia and repair is imperative.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck to fix Umbilicus

+1

You have an amazing amount of abdominal protrusion yet it is not indicative of a pseudoherniation from rectus diastasis. In fact from the picture it appears that you have very little muscle to the abdominal wall. Without muscular tone there is not much that a surgeon can do for you. You will need to start with a physical therapist first then eventually a trainer. You can achieve a good abdomen but now it is up to you not a surgical procedure. Your surgeons did the best they could with what they had to work with.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Redo Tummy Tuck

+1

From your photo it appears that either you have a recurrent hernia or depending on your height and weight that you may need to get closer to your ideal body weight before having any further surgery. Of course it is difficult to give a complete answer from a limited photo. I would highly recommend returning to your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns and review your before and after photos to see how you have progressed. This is a complex issue and needs an in-person evaluation and discussion.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD