Is Tummy Tuck Necessary After Liposuction for Male Patient?

I am a 30 year old male considering Liposuction and Tummy Tuck. I would prefer to only do liposuction but don't want to be left with a lot of excess skin. Based on the attached photos, is a tummy tuck also necessary?

Liposuction alone probably will be all you need for your tummy and sides.

+2

Liposuction alone will flatten your abdomen and your sides very nicely and you will probably get a fair amount of skin tightening because of your age and if you get the lipo done with the more refined microcanulas which allow the skin to contract better. The cost roughly would be about $5000 under local anesthesia and back to work in 2 days.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Try lipo and see how you like the results before scheduling a tummy tuck.

+1
Although just looking at your photo is different from an in-person evaluation, there’s no reason to rush into a tummy tuck if you aren’t sure about the surgery. Liposuction can help slim down the love handles and extra fat through the midsection, although it looks as if your abdominal skin does have some laxity to it that may be contributing to the problem. If this is the case, lipo alone isn’t likely to give you the results you hope for. Still, you may wish to schedule the lipo, then wait about six months or so to see if you’re happy with your new look. If not, then you can see if a tummy tuck makes sense.

Frank Campanile, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction first for at least 3-6 months prior to consideration of tummy tuck

+1

Most liposuction surgeons realize that there is significant amount of retraction after liposuction where an intentional plane of scar tissue can allow the skin to 're-attach' back to the sheath covering the muscles if compression garment is worn for 4 weeks. However, too many patients get talked into doing liposuction and tummy tuck, i.e. abdominoplasty, during the same procedure that may not always be medically indicated. Tummy tuck is a great procedure for people with substantial sagging of the abdomen but the procedure involves greater risk of scarring, infection, and possibly adhesion of fibrous scar tissue leading to bowel obstruction.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction will not be enough and will leave excess abdominal skin

+1

Liposuction will not be enough and yes you will be left with excess skin on the abdominal area. I would recommend an excision of the excess skin with Smart Lipo + Body Jet Lipo of the complete abdomen and hips. This is one operation and yes there will be a scar. Otherwise you can have 2 operations the first the Smart Lipo + Body Jet Lipo to see if that satisfies you ( I think not). Than a second operation to remove the excess residual skin. This is a hard choice but as having done many many of these I would prefer the first. Go see 3 boarded plastic surgeons. Best of Luck!

Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is best technique to manage loose skin

+1

Nothing can substitute for an in person consultation but based on this picture and your specific comment "don't want to be left with a lot of excess skin" I would recommend that you undergo a tummy tuck and liposuction. You already have loose skin and it is exceptionally unlikely that liposuction will tighten this. OF course other factors such as a history of significant weight loss and/or a rectus muscle diastasis would reinforce this decision.

Alternatively, a strong history of keloid scar formation or tobacco use would support proceeding with liposuction alone.

Liposuction and tummy tuck

+1

If your skin elasticity is good and your muscle has not bowed forward in your abdomen, you might get away with liposuction with good skin retraction. It is a good plan to first have the liposuction done, and after six months reevaluate the amount of loose skin. A skin-only (not skin and muscle tightening) tummy tuck can be done later. There are relative increases in surgical risk if both a tummy tuck and liposuction is done at the same time. Consult with a plastic surgeon about the latter.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Tummy Tuck vs. Liposuction or Both

+1

Clearly, there MUST be something either in in the air floating above zip code 90210 or in the water supply underneath it, which confers upon some of its skin doctors, ER doctors, gynecologists, eye doctors and other non-surgeons, aspiring to be Plastic surgeons, an unsupported testicular supremacy dangerously coupled with a deluded feeling of baseless superiority in all matters Cosmetic Plastic surgery.

While such comical self-aggrandizing efforts are tragically laughable to most real surgeons, who understand the crude irony, the public does not really know that such "experts" often base their silly claims to "supremacy" on at most a 1 year "fellowship" training, if that much, usually spent trailing one or 2 similarly trained practitioners around before being unleashed on the public with a shiny diploma which means little if anything a a false sense of security.

Bokad, in your case, the vast majority of my Plastic Surgery colleagues ARE right.

You appear to have BOTH loose skin and localized fat deposits. A liposuction will remove localized but will, at best, be associated with minimal skin shrinkage - so do not count on it.

I WOULD recommend liposuction (USING tumescent solution as we ALWAYS DO) AS A FIRST STEP to see just how much loose skin you find tolerable. If you you are pleased or can tolerate the result - you are done.

But - if after it all heals you feel that you do want any remaining skin looseness to be removed - you WILL then need to undergo an abdominoplasty which will involve removing loose skin and a transverse scar that is hidden by your underwear.

If you do not want to wait and want it all done in one stage, then you will require a combined liposuction and abdominoplasty procedure.

Educate yourself properly and pick a good surgeon to carry out YOUR wishes. To find a real plastic surgeon check the American Society of Plastic Surgery website (www.PlasticSurgery.org).

I hope this was helpful.

Liposuction alone is your best initial option

+1

Dear Bokad

It amazes me how anxious general plastic surgeons are to put a giant scar across your body! It should be obvious that this is highly undesirable. You are young enough that how you look naked matters. A little loose skin but no scar may be a very acceptable trade off. Tumescent liposuction does stimulate some skin contraction. If after you have fully healed from tumescent liposuction (about 12 months) if you have any hanging skin, this can be addressed with an appropriate tummy tuck if it skin does not contract sufficiently. However, your body will never be the same with the lower abdominal scar.

Also your tumescent liposuction can be done under local without general anesthesia. These means that your can return to a work out and work in 2-3 days. Recovery from a tummy tuck will feel more like many weeks and compression garments are often recommended for 6 to 8 weeks. Also there is the not insignificant increased risk of death when you have a tummy tuck versus liposuction under local anesthesia. The risk of death having the tummy tick will be about 1 in 40,000. The risk of death having the procedure as a tumescent liposuction under local anesthesia will be about 1 in 300,000.

Tumescent liposuction is primarily done by fellowship trained dermatologic surgeons. I recommend that you do a little on line research to find one in your area. I think you will find that they will be much more open to helping you without putting a scar on your body from one hip to the other. You might look into Jermone Potozkin, M.D. or Richard Glogau, M.D., both are highly regarded derm surgeons with years of experience in tumescent liposuction.

Maybe not.

+1

It looks like you will have excess skin, but the question is will it contract enough to prevent a tummy tuck. I give my patients like you the choice of doing the liposuction and waiting for 6-12 months. If you are satisfied with the amount of contracting you have saved a great deal of time and money and a long scar. Otherwise, you can proceed with the tummy tuck.

Liposuction vs tummy tuck

+1

You have loose skin in the lower abdomen and would be better served with a tummy tuck for this.  You also have some fat on the flanks and this could be liposuctioned at the same time.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS