Can a 16-year-old Be a Candidate for Tummy Tuck?

I'm 16 years old. I used to weigh 242.50 pounds, now I'm 143.30; but I have a lot of loose skin in my abdominal area. Can I be a candidate for a tummy tuck?

How young to have a tummytuck

+1

You should be congratulated for losing the weight, but I think you should wait longer before undertaking corrective surgery on your abdomen.  Your skin may still contract and tighten slightly, and it will be so important that you will be able to maintain the weight loss without a future gain.  Surgery also has some risks associated with it and I would rather see you wait several years longer before you have this surgery performed.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Common theme here

+1

Charles,

I think that you can see the common theme here...make sure that your current weight is your target weight and is maintainable. Also, you need to be sure that you have completed your overall growth. If there is expected continued growth in height and bone structure, you may need your now excess skin. These things can be determined in conjunction with your pediatrician. Also, your pediatrician should make an assessment of your cardiac and pulmonary (lung) function. There is no doubt that they are both altered as a consequence of your prior obesity and may affect your risk profile for surgery. Finally, if all of these things are in order, you would most likely qualify for a removal of excess skin. The surgery would not be a full or formal tummy tuck, but a rearrangement of your skin alone. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Tummy tuck in teenager possible after weight loss

+1

After large weight loss in teenagers, tummy tuck is possible and safe if there is a need to reduce skin excess, especially if the skin and tissue excess interferes with clothing or exercise, or in the case of a recurring rash from skin folding. Still, teenagers are growing, and it is important to be sure the goal weight reached is in an ideal range, and has been quite stable. Unfortunately, weight loss can be hard to maintain, especially as a teenager where eating habits are constantly challenged. I would suggest a new goal, a steady and healthy weight through high school, and consider tummy tuck after your growth begins to slow. You will then be 'proven ready' and tummy tuck will improve your outlook moving ahead into college.

16 year old tummy tuck

+1

You are a candidate for improvement with surgery. You should wait until your weight has stabilized and then see a plastic surgeon who can discuss all the options with you.  Although 16 is young for this type of procedure you sound like an appropriate candidate for removal of the excess skin.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck for teens after a large weight loss possible

+1

Yes. Providing your weight is stable (and not fluctuating), that you have no other medical or psychiatric conditions that need to be addressed first and that your parents/legal guardian are present at your consultations and understand the procedure(s) and potential risks.

Good Luck.

Tummy tuck in 16 year old

+1

Yes, it certainly is possible to perform a tummy tuck in a 16 year old. My concern is that with the extent of the weight loss a tummy tuck may accomplish a limited goal whereas other procedures such as belt lipectomy may be more appropriate. Given the risks of surgery, this should only be undertaken after achieving a stable weight.

Tummy tuck after weight loss

+1

As a male who has lost substantial weight, you might be a candidate for a tummy tuck but I have never heard of one done in someone only 16 years of age. I have done one on an 19 year old with your same story. Just make sure you have achieved the new weight and kept it there for several months before considering any surgery.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS