Tummy Tuck and Hysterectomy Safe at 10.9 Hemoglobin Count?

I have a hemoglobin count of 10.9. Need a hysterectomy and want to have a tummy tuck at the same time. Is this okay?

Blood count and tummy tuck

+2

Yes but the blood count in and of itself is not the only thing to consider. If you are willing to accept a blood transfusion if you need it then the concern is even less. If the blood count has been chonically low your body has adjusted to it and there is also less risk. If the blood count is low because of a recent bleeding problem then your body will be much more sensitive to additional blood loss.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

10.9 OK?

+1

I am assuming you have a low HGb because of some uterine issue precluding waiting until the Hgb number comes up, true? if so, then start supplements and consider donating your own blood (well in advance) in preparation. if this is not possible then, no, stage the procedures to avoid unnecessary transfusions or complications.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Hysterectomy

+1

It is not uncommon to combine the two procedures together to have the benefit of one recovery time.

During the tummy tuck, you should have minimal blood loss. A hysterectomy is a little bit different. This is something you need to address with your OB/GYN doctor. If you are healthy you may be able to get away without getting any blood transfusion. But you need to be aware and willing to recieve blood if you are to undergo the above procedures.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Tummy Tuck and Hysterectomy with low Hemoglobin

+1

The "normal" level of blood in the human body as measured by the hematocrit is 45 or about 15 when measured by the hemoglobin. However, because women lose blood on a monthly basis most of us in medicine have come to accept that women's hematocrit usually runs in the low 30's with a corresponding hemoglobin around 10-12. With this level of blood I have no problem operating on any patient for any procedure. The reason is I now how much blood I will lose in each surgery and it isn't enough to change the hemodynamics of the patient. When the blood level is chronically low it's a lot different than being acutely low.

However, it's up to your gynecologist to know his or her abilities and thus the amount of blood they will lose during their procedure. It shouldn't be much. So overall, if there are no other issues, a hemoglobin of 10.9 should be fine for surgery.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

I would advise that you discuss your concerns with your doctors

+1

I believe that your doctor or somebody had concern about the low hemoglobin. This is a good indication that not to perform these procedures at the same time. I do perform these procedures at the same times but each case is different.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and hysterectomy

+1

These two procedures - tummy tuck and hysterectomy - are often combined and it is a great time to have a tummy tuck. As for your blood count - 10.9 - can be acceptable depending on your overall health as well as expected blood loss during surgery. Also, was the lab drawn immediately after a heavy menstrual cycle, for example, which can make it temporarily low. The reason for the low count is just as important as the actual number. Have your plastic surgeon and gynecologist communicate about their thoughts regarding your Hb count and they will let you know whether or not it is safe to proceed. Also, if you have had a count done before and it is stable at 10.9, then that is a safer situation than a new drop in your blood count. So, the history of the lab results also matters.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Tummy Tuck and hysterectomy at 10.9 hemoglobin count

+1

It depends.

It depends on your general health tolerating surgery AND an anemia with a low HgB AND on how much further blood losses are anticipated with the hysterectomy.

If you do not have heart disease or other medical conditions which are associated with compromised blood flow to a vital organ (heart, brain, kidneys etc) and the GYN surgeon is confident that he/she can perform the hysterectomy without significant blood losses, then it would be relatively safe to combine them.

Of course, I am ASSUMING the anemia is due to bleeding fibroids for which you are having the hysterectomy. If the anemia is due to another source, I would recommend that be corrected BEFORE any elective procedures.

Hope this was helpful.

Tummy tuck and hysterectomy hould be ok if you're healthy

+1

If you are young and healthy and hysterectomy is not done for some complicated reason, then performing a tummy tuck and hysterectomy should be ok with this hemoglobin. I recommend my patients take iron and vitamin C pre-operatively. Discuss with your plastic surgeon and gynecologist.

Vladimir Grigoryants, MD

Hemoglobin level is safe for tumy tuck

+1

As a plastic surgeon I can comment on the procedure I am most familiar with, the tummy tuck. To do a tummy tuck with your hemoglobin should not be problem but the hysterectomy procedure may cause more blood loss. Both of your surgeons should be able to decide on what they think the amount of blood loss would be for each procedure and if this is in a safe and acceptable zone. Each of these procedures have so many variations that each individual surgeon will have to give an opinion.

I am assuming that your low hemoglobin is due to the uterus and other forms of blood loss and anemia have been considered.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and blood count

+1

Hi, if you are healthy there should be no reason why you could not undergo a tummy tuck at the same time as your hysterectomy. However, you should direct this question to your gynecologist who is more familiar with your medical history. If there is ongoing blood loss, you may want to hold on the cosmetic aspect of the procedure. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS