Will Hysterectomy Compression Garment Affect Tummy Tuck Results?

I will have tummy tuck and hysterectomy surgery on the same day in November. Due to my hysterectomy, my doctor will be putting me in the velcro garment instead of the girdle that extends to my hips. Would this make a huge difference in results? I am nervous! I have also had 3 c-sections across the bottom. I have had issues since I had my fist son at 18 and gained 80lbs while pregnant. Weight has been a battle since.

Hysterectomy compression garment and tummy tuck results

+1

Most plastic surgeons place a binder or compression modality after surgery.  One just has to make sure that it is not giving too much compression in one area vs. another.  Our office does this combined procedure.  We typically are in agreement with peri-operative care.  It is OK to ask your surgeons if they spoke about this it it is a concern to you.

Hysterectomy compression garment and Tummy Tuck results

+1

"My doctor will be putting me in the Velcro garment instead of the girdle that extends to my hips. Would this make a huge difference in results? I am nervous"

DON'T be nervous.

Personally, I STOPPED using all compression garments years ago. In my opinion such garments treat the surgeon more than the patient.

The key is not to have undue pressure on the skin raised to tighten your muscles NOR to cause a slowed flow in your leg veins that may lead to blood clots. If your GYN insists on using the Velcro support, loosen it as much as you can, especially when in bed if too tight and prevents you from taking deep breaths. NOTHING BAD WILL HAPPEN.

Don't be nervous. You'll do great!

Garment after tummy tuck

+1

It is not at all unusual to have patients wear a support garment of some type after abdominal surgery including a tummy tuck. The only trouble I might be concerned about is the degree of compression. The garment should not be too tight because it may compromise the skin blood flow.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Compression following Tummy Tuck

+1

I don't think that you should be concerned.  I routinely use a vercro compression binder rather than a girdle following a tummy tuck and have not been disappointed in the results.  In my practice the only indication for a girdle would be if thigh suctioning were being carried out simultaneously.

John Whitt, MD

Compression garments after a tummy tuck

+1

After a tummy tuck, an abdominal binder is usually placed under moderate tension.  Therefore, check with your plastic surgeon as to whether or not the hysterectomy garment is too tight.  I doubt it will be, but it's hard to tell without actually seeing the garment.  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS