Am I Being Charged Too High for Tummy Tuck?

I am a 47-year-old woman who has lost 80 lbs. I recently consulted with two surgeons for a Tummy Tuck. The first surgeon, who I did not connect with, would charge me $9000 all inclusive. The second, charges $12,000 for his services + $7000 on top for surgical suite fee, anesthesia, etc. He would do a Fleur de Lys, which I think is best. The surgical suite is his. He is well-respected and was recommended by my dermatologist. But, his fees seem well above norm; even very high for a Tummy Tuck. Is there some well-respected statistical reference for procedure costs? Is his price as high as I think it is? Can I negotiate?

Prices for a tummy tuck

+3

Get a few more opinions. I do not recommend finding the cheapest plastic surgeon, nor is the most expensive necessarily the best. The price you quote is quite high. You should be comfortable with your surgeon and look at photos of his/her own patients.  Good Luck.

Frankfort Plastic Surgeon

What determines the price of a cosmetic procedure

+2

The price of a cosmetic procedure is determined by 5 factors.

The Anesthesia Fee
If the procedure does not require an anesthesiologist then this is not a factor. If an anesthesiologist is needed they are usually paid per hour. The first hour is usually paid at a higher rate with the following hours paid at a reduced rate. For example the first hour may be $500 where the following rate per hour may be $300-350/hr
Facility Fee
The facility charges either per hour like the anesthesia fee or they charge for the procedure being performed. Generally these prices are lower if you have your own facility. The doctor will still have to hire nurses and have supplies on hand but usually a profit is made that will be lost by bringing the case to a hospital or surgical center.
Implant Fee
If implants are used this will be incorporated into the fee. For example a breast augmentation will require implants where as a breast lift would not. A breast lift generally takes longer so in the end the price may be the same.
Surgeon's Fee
This fee will vary where as the price of facility, anesthesia and implants are all roughly the same. Figure at least $1000/hr.
Duration of the Procedure
As the procedure time lengthens the overall cost will rise.
When determining the cost of a cosmetic procedure these 5 factors are taken into account.

Sharon Theresa McLaughlin MD
Long Island City Plastic Surgeon

Seek several in person consultations

+1

Hello moxiegirl,

Thank you for the question.  I think you will best served by seeking an in person consultation with several plastic surgeons in your community  The first plastic surgeon may have given you the ball park cost of a full tummy tuck which is less than a fleur-de-lis.  Obtain a few more in person consultations as this will give you a better idea of average cost.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Variable cost of a Tummy tuck

+1

Prices vary by geography but in Florida it can be between $5500-$8000. Factors such as surgeon, anesthesia, and facility cost play a factor. I would not recommend the cheapest or the most expensive but you have to connect with your surgeon and be comfortable with his before and afters.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Tummy Tuck Charges?

+1

Generally, you will find that there is the reason why a “plastic surgery” has much lower than average fees;  In our community it is often the non-plastic surgeon who  charges very low fees in order to attract patients. On the other hand, very high fees and no way indicates a better surgeon etc.

I  am  sure there are many well-qualified plastic surgeons in your area. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery  to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Fair Price for a Tummy Tuck

+1

My previous response to this very question is one of my most popular RealSelf answers. You may want to look it up. In brief, cosmetic surgery prices vary widely by city, the surgeon's  experience, desirability / availability among others. Never ever pick a surgeon based on the lowest nor the highest fees charged. There is always a reason why someone charges the lowest fees and charging the heftiest fees does not necessarily mean he is the best. Do your homework and use someone you both trust and like. 

Tummy tuck costs - what is reasonable

+1

If you didn't connect with a surgeon, I would definitely get a second opinion regardless of their reputation or price.  It is important that you feel comfortable with your surgeon and they are able to develop the right plan for you.  If you find someone you like, but the price is too high, then I would consider getting a third opinion.  A price of $9000 all inclusive seems quite reasonable.  The other price does seem on the high end.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Tummy tuck price quote

+1
The fee you were given is certainly more than I would charge in New York City, and our prices tend to be higher than in many parts of the country. The surgical suite fee is higher than what I would expect to pay at North Shore Hospital, for example, and more than double that at the local surgicenters. There is no harm in seeing two more doctors with similar reputations and community standing in consultation so you can gain some needed perspective on these fees.

Robert L. Kraft, MD