Tummy Tuck Still Possible Some Time After Laser Liposuction Procedures?

If you get Smart Lipo or Vaser Lipo and then decide a few months or so down the road that you want a tummy tuck, is that even possible since you wont have much fat and skin left?

The reason I ask is because I want to have liposuction; but I do have some stretch marks on my abdomen and I just want a tummy tuck that pulls the skin but not do anything to the muscles.

I am 22 and have not had any kids, and I work out a lot. I just have stretch marks from various yo-yo dieting and if its possible to still get a tummy tuck some time after Smart Lipo or Vaser Lipo I'd like to know.

Stetch Marks Won't Be Helped by SmartLipo

+1

If you have extra fat and minimal skin laxity, there is some data to show you can have fat removal plus a small amount of skin tightening from the newer higher-powered SmartLipo systems.

Stretch marks are going to stay unless you have a tummy tuck to remove them or pull them tighter, and I agree with the other docs that at your age a TT is probably not the best idea.

Tummy tuck and laser liposuction or Vaser

+1

At 22 having had no children yet, you should probably not be considering a tummy tuck at all at this point.

Laser liposuction and Vaser do not, in my opinion, do anything for stretch marks. I personally believe laser liposuction does nothing for tightening either if it is done at a deep level. If it is done at a superficial level, it risks permanent discoloration and unevenness of the skin, which in my experience is not correctable.

So I suppose in theory yes you could stage the procedures in the fashion you have described, but as you can see from the answers in this post you've asked a group of experienced surgeons to approve two wrong forks in the road.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Start with the right procedure

+1

At 22 years old and changes from weight loss, I question the use of laser liposuction. It sounds like your skin laxity and stretch marks are more bothersome than the fatty fullness. You may need a procedure to address those problems first in combination with liposuction. Laser lipo looks great in pictures, but does very little to tighten the skin. If your muscle shape is good, a mini tummy tuck with liposuction may provide you with the best result. It will not cause any issues with future pregnancies, but will help eliminate some of the loose skin and stretch marks.

Sounds like you need to get a second opinion from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who does a lot of body work.

Good Luck!

David A. Dreyfuss, MD

If you need a tummy tuck, you need a tummy tuck

+1

The premise of your question assumes that you will get skin tightening with laser lipo. Although there is some eveidence to support that, I have to emphatically say that it is not a substitute for a tummy tuck. There are a lot of people who are sort of in between, meaning there is a little bit of loose skin and a lttle bit of fat; laser lipo or lipo+Thermage can be helpful there. But if you are in the tummy tuck category, you will only create more problems later with scarring unless you go with lipo without the laser.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy tuck in young person

+1

If you are 22 and have not kids yet, I would not recommend a tummy tuck.  If you go on to have children the tissues will stretch out even more, and it would make more sense to wait until then.

Tummy Tuck after Liposuction

+1

If you are sure you are going to have no pregnancies, then it would make more sense to have a TT with some lipo at that time.  If you are planning pregnancies, then there should not be a problem with having a TT later and lipo now.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy tuck after liposuction

+1

What you are planning really doesn't make sense to me. If you need a tummy tuck, then do it with some selected liposuction of the flanks if there is fat there. You can have the muscles left alone but really you should have them conservatively tightened to get the best result. They are just stitched together, not cut or injured in any way. You won't get the optimal result without it.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Liposuction and abdominoplasty

+1

Thanks for the question -

You can certainly have a tummy tuck after liposuction but you're going to want to give yourself more time to heal and get the full benefit of the liposuction (this is usually at least 6 months).

In addition - liposuction won't fix stretch marks. Stretch marks are tears in the deeper layer of the dermis and is typically a sign that there is decreased elasticity of the affected skin. This is crucial because you're counting on the skin tightening after liposuction. In patients with poor skin elasticity abdominal liposuction can actually make things look worse (more empty folds of skin).

Steven H. Williams, MD