Tummy Tuck Before Breast Lift and Augmentation?

I need Tummy tuck and Breast lift/Breast augmentation after losing a lot of weight. Which procedure is best to have first, Tummy tuck or Breast Lift/Augmentation? Please help, and thanks.

These can be done together

+2

Unless there are specific reasons you want to separate them, breast and abdominal surgeries can usually be safely done together. If you want to separate them, the physical result is the same regardless of which you do first. Consequently, the best plan would be to do the one that bothers you more first.

In healthy patients, abdominopasty and breast surgery...

+2

In healthy patients, abdominopasty and breast surgery can generally be combined. If there are special issues such as complexities of the surgery, greater than usual scope (such as in patients who have lost a great deal of weight), it may be best to separate them.

For patients who are separating their surgeries, it is typically a matter of which bothers the patient more.

Because the tummy surgery is tougher to recover from, many patients who stage their surgeries prefer to start there.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

I agree with the other surgeons that both can be performed safely together. However, since your question was specifically which should be done first I would say the tummy tuck. The reason is that rejuvenation of the abdomen will enhance the breasts. Example-I removed almost 6 liters of fat from the abdomen and flanks of a patient. Everyone is convinced that she had a breast augmentation. The abdomen is smaller so the breasts "appear" larger.

So you don't end up with breasts that are too large I would do the TT first.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift is more complex

+1

Breast lift and tummy tuck are often done together-often referred to a the 'Mommy Makeover". These two operations can be done safely at the same operation by an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

However, many people choose to have these procedures done at seperate procedures which certainly makes for an easier recovery and shorter anesthesia time.

It really does not matter which you do first.

My policy is to do the more complex procedure first. The breast lift is technically more complex and requires more detailed concentration on the part of your surgeon. Thus I would do the lift first.

See before and after photos of breast lift and breast augmentation, and bikini tummy tuck.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Both surgical procedures can be done at the same time

+1

There is no particular correct order for these two procedures.  It is not unusual to do them both at the same time.  An expereienced plastic surgeon can help you select the procedre and timing that is appropriate for your individual anatomy.  

Breast Lift and Augmentation and Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear BlossomRose

There is no hard fast rule on which procedure to do first. The recovery from the breast surgery is usually very fast with return to normal activities in a few days.

The recovery from a tummy tuck is a little longer and you would not be able to carry out any vigorous activities for 4 to 6 weeks. If the procedures are done together then you would not likely have much increased downtime- perhaps a little more fatigue.

With Warmest Regards,

Trevor M born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

It depends on what bothers you the most

+1

Although in the proper patient these procedures can be accomplished at the same operation safely, you may opt to do them seperately. Which one you chose is up to you really. If you feel as though you may continue to lose more weight, I would recommend the breast surgery first but it could be argued either way. Discuss your options with your plastic surgeon.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Post massive weight loss body contouring

+1

It has been shown that in healthy patients, you can combine these two surgeries together, safely.

If you like to stage the above procedures, I would suggest going with the one that bothers you the most. I have a recommendation for you that receive the procedures when you are stable in weight at least for six months.

M. Ryan Khosravi, MD

Good question

+1

The answer is whatever the surgeon is comfortable with. Some surgeons prefer to combine the procedures in one operation, some do not. The decision is dependent to some degree on what is being done specifically. Some abdominoplasties will change the position of the inframammary fold of the breast and this is compounded by certain types of breast lifts that also change the position of the fold. These two effects can be contradictory to each other and complicate the result. We also may be concerned with blood supply to the various surgical areas. Making long incision (generally required in post-weight loss body contouring) in the abdominoplasty in combination with long incisions in the inframammary fold in breast lifts, might compromise the blood flow to the abdominal flap that, in conjunction with tension applied to the tissues, might lead to a higher risk of healing complications. If all aspects of the procedure work in your favor, then combining the procedures might be reasonable. However,always err on the side of safety, and your surgeon and you should agree on the priorities of the surgery so that there is an "out" in the event the surgery needs to be curtailed.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

In my practice I usually do the breast lift/augmentation and tummy tuck together.

+1

If you are in relatively good health and are a good candidate for breast lift with or with out breast implants and a good candidate for a tummy tuck is will usually do these together at the same operation in order to save you cost and recovery time. I will also usually do liposuction of the abdomen and hips simultaneously. Liposuction of the legs may also be indicated. If there is too much liposuction with the tummy tuck then it would be best to preform the surgery in the hospital with an over night stay.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD