Can Triluma Be Used for Other Areas than Face?

I am African-American and have dark spots on my abdominals which are from a 1st degree burn injury. My dermatologist prescribed triluma cream to treat the dark spots on my abdominals. Is triluma good for other parts of the body other than the face?

Triluma Usage

+1

Triluma can be used on areas other than your face. The tretinoin can irritate the area; if you become irritated you may want to use every other day and check with your doctor. Make sure you just spot treat; more cream doesn’t give you better results. Excessive bleaching resulting in undesirable cosmetic effect in patients with darker skin cannot be excluded.

Higher strength hydroquinone may be necessary for African-American skin

+1

Triluma is the only FDA approved prescription-strength bleaching cream combining 4% hydroquinone, tretinoin (Retin-A), and low-potent topical steroid. It can be helpful for pigmentation on other parts of the body other than the face. However, for an African-American skin, if Triluma fails to help, you may want to see a board-certified dermatologist for extra-strength hydroquinone such as 7-8% hydroquinone cream.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon