Too Young for Liposuction?

I am 22 years old and loosing weight has always been a struggle for me. I am 5'1" and I weigh 160lbs. I hate my stomach and my arms. I have seriously been considering Liposuction, but I can't help but think I might be too young. HELP!

Too young for liposuction?

+2

You ARE very young for liposuction. While your genetics may never dictate a slender figure, at your height, you could certainly weigh less. It would be better to visit with a nutritionist and carefully evaluate excatly where you could make changes in your eating without "dieting." Dieting almost always results in recurent weight gain. Liposuction should be reserved for spot areas that are still problematic after achieving a more ideal weight.

I have personally done a few patients at your age and in retrospect I wish I hadn't because it sets in their minds that "a litle lipo" is the way to manage their future weight issues. They have come back wanting more a few years later and I think that is not a healthy pattern.

Liposuction works great for 22-year-olds

+2

At 22 you are definitely not too young for liposuction and liposuction may be the best motivator for you to continue to diet and exercise to further lose weight. Expect to pay about $5000 for lipo of the tummy. 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

The Hungry Fat Cell Theory Decreasing The Message To The Satiety Center May Just Work

+1

Being overweight is an incredible social emotional problem in our society, especially in young women.  There can be so many reasons why you are overweight, and without a face to face consultation, being able to see what your skin looks like, talking to you about your goals, your family of origin, your eating habits, etc., it would be really hard to make a suggestion to you. 

That being said, if you have put in a honest effort into losing weight and don't have an eating disorder, then I personally would have no problem doing liposuction on the two areas you mentioned - the abdomen and upper arms.  We all have a satiety center in our hypothalamus that tells us when we are hungry and when we are full.  The regulation of this center is not clearly understood, but it may have something to do with fatty acids traveling through the blood stream and the volume of those acids is directly related to the number of fat cells in one's body.  If you decrease the fat cells by liposuction or some other means, you may decrease the message to the brain.  This theory is known as the "hungry fat cell" theory.  

If this theory is actually true, liposuction may change your life more than just removing bulges.  At a minimum, even if liposuction doesn't reset your satiety center, at 22, you will have an excellent chance of good skin contracture, improving your figure, and improving your self esteem.  GO FOR IT! 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Large volume Liposuction will give you best results

+1

Simple answer. The best results for you is large volume liposuction, over 5 liters yo 10 liters of fat. Research what doctors in your area have experience in Large Volume Lipo. 

Best of Luck!

What is too young for liposuction?

+1

Your age would put you in the minority of ages of patients undergoing liposuction. The more important aspect of your medical surgical care is that your body dictates that weight reduction should be accomplished prior to liposuction, otherwise you will gain it back and incur a risk and cost for minimal benefit. Liposuction is not a safe replacement for diet and exercise. You should see an endocrinologist to ensure that your thryoid and other hormonal systems are in order. If your resting metabolic rate is lower than it should be you will find it difficult to lose weight and this could be related to a slow thryoid. Also, you should see a nutritionist to determine if your caloric intake is divided appropriately between the different food groups and if you are consuming more calories than your body needs to maintain the status quo (your homeostasis). Then, when you're left with some bulging in certain areas, after weight loss through diet and exericse and possible hormonal regulation, then you could be considered a liposuction candidate more safely and appropriately.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction at a young age

+1

You are not too young but it is in your best interest to achieve a weight that is closer to your ideal body weight and then pursue liposuciton for management of localized fatty deposits.

At your age, you have favorable skin contraction and this will contribute to a better result when compared to an older individual

You would do better to loose weight first.

+1

With the excess you have, I don't think you would be happy with the results from liposuction. You would be bettered served by joining a weight reduction/exercise program. This may negate you having any liposuction and be happier to boot.

You can have liposuction if you are over 18.

+1

Hi!

You are not too young for liposuction.  Liposuction can give you long lasting improvement in shape and correction of bulges.  But, of course, you will still be overweight afterwards.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Not too young for Liposuction

+1

With 5'1" and 160 lbs weight, your BMI is 30.2 making you "Obese" (30 and above).

You are NOT too young for liposuction and if anything young skin would shrink much better afterward. Liposuction will DEFINITELY give you a better shape.

But a liposuction procedure cannot safely remove more than 11 pounds in one out patient procedure and is not a weight reduction operation.

The less you weigh, the better liposuction can smooth resistant fat areas.

Good Luck.

Not too young for liposuctioning

+1

You are not too young but you need to be realistic as to why you are doing it and what you can expect. In addition you may want to take some time and money and seek professional advice as to how you can get into better shape for the long run. Liposuctioing will help you only on a temporary basis if you do not get the other issues under control.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon