Will Tip Rhinoplasty Cause Imbalance with Dorsal Hump?

Hi all, I have a very tiny dorsal hump in the upper part of my nose, and a bulbous droopy tip, which is especially visible when I smile. My preference would be to just take care of the tip and leave my tiny hump as is.

Is there any reason why I should be also correcting the hump? Would correcting only the tip create any imbalance? I am attaching a photo to give you a better idea. Thank you for your kind responses.

Tip rhinoplasty and dorsal hump

+2

While you could add tip support (to avoid retraction with smiling)  with a minimal change to tip aesthetics by using a columellar strut alone, Aesthetic results would be nicer with a subtle change to tip dynamics and dorsal reduction.  If you do not want to address the dorsum, a sinmple columellar strut and elevation of the lower lateral cartilages should suit you well.

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Imbalance with dorsal hump due to tip plasty

+1

Performing a tip plasty will change the dorsal aesthetic line of the nose. It is a three-dimensional structure, and when changed, it also alters the relationships with the nasal bridge. If there is a hump present, it is probably best to perform a full rhinoplasty rather than just a tip plasty to make sure that the nose is in complete balance with itself and your face.

Tip Rhinoplasty

+1

It appears you have a small dorsal hump. While purists would recommend hump removal, over the years I've had male patients request that the dorsum not be changed. I've done just the tip and achieved a very nice result. The ideal profile for a man is a straight dorsum or a slight convexity. Make your preferences clear at the time of consultation.

Tipplasty

+1

Hi,

Most noses need a full rhinoplasty. However, your nose, as seen on the photo, does not and will do fine with a tipplasty ( surgery of the tip). You should have your plastic surgeon perform computer digital imaging so that you can get an idea of what your nose will look like after the surgery.

Best of Luck,

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty

+1

As a plastic surgeon, we all look to strive for perfection. Although rarely if ever do we achieve it. With this in mind we personally like to fix things based upon our own aesthetic eye. If you are happy with a small dorsal hump, then you certainly do not need to correct it. A tip rhinoplasty is certainly acceptable and can be done without touching the dorsum

Tip and/or hump rhinoplasty (nose job)

+1

I would not necessarily describe your tip as drooping. However, I do agree that it does seem to project excessively. Reducing tip projection will create the illusion of a larger hump and even a "polly or suprtip" deformity.

It is my impression that any treatment of the tip will likely require a comparable reduction in the dorsal hump.

Rhinoplasty With or Without Hump Removal, That is the Question

+1

Hi Nasal Tip in Conn,

I would try to honor your desire to keep your hump with the added stipulation that at the time of surgery after you tip is corrected possibly more may need to done to keep your nose in balance.

Best to have in person rhinoplasty consultations with experienced surgeons to get an idea of what would work best for you.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

It depends on the rest of your face and your goals

+1

You have submitted a single picture without lateral view. From the limited views it is hard to give a good recommendation. Your doctor can give you a better answer. The other option is to have an evaluation by a plastic surgeon who offers computer image morphing. This can be very helpful to see how the tip surgery will effect the bridge. I been using imaging for the last 12 years for the rhinoplasty and it been very predictable and helpful.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tip rhinoplasty alone can be a very satisfying procedure

+1

Tip rhinoplasty alone can be a very satisfying procedure. I do not believe that every patient requires their entire nose to be operated on to achieve a satisfactory result. In fact, looking at your photo if you are happy with the width of your nose and having a small bump doesn't bother you, then you can have a very satisfactory result by just operating on the tip. In fact, most of my patients want a natural result to their nose and only want minor alterations. While it is clear if you have a big bump that taking that down would restore balance, often small bumps are more natural especially with a slender dorsum as in your case. Therefore, I would get several opinions before you decide to proceed.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip rhinoplasty without bridge adjustment

+1

In my experiencein 30 years seeing post op. rhinopolasty patients as a 2nd opinion it often ends in patient dissatisfaction. Even when the bridge is slightly promenent it usually becomes more promenent and dysharmonious after tip plasty

Every case has subtle differences and considerations. What can be done digitally cannot always be carried out surgically. It would be best if you were prepaired to have bridge work" if yoursurgeon feels it is necessary during surgery.My patients have a clear understnding of this priotr to surgery.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon